Palace Incident

morddwyd 09:06 09 Sep 2013

Prince Andrew says the police do a good job and "sometimes get it wrong " following a challenge in the palace grounds.

click here would have thought a copper challenging someone he doesn't recognize in an unauthorized area has got it exactly right

Or perhaps he thinks it was wrong because he wasn't recognized

I

john bunyan 09:23 09 Sep 2013

The episode reinforces the opinion I have of him that he has become too pompous and self important. (eg when he arrived in India last year in full ceremonial naval whites, like a Viceroy.)

Pompous Andrew

spuds 09:23 09 Sep 2013

"Or perhaps he thinks it was wrong because he wasn't recognized". Is about right I would imagine.

Hope its not another 'pleb-gate' incident in the making?.

fourm member 09:32 09 Sep 2013

It is interesting to note that the BBC changed its headline on that story. When it first appeared it was headed something like 'Prince says police 'wrong' to stop him'. I don't know whether the palace complained or someone at the BBC spotted it.

I have no way of knowing whether Andrew said it was 'wrong' because the system is supposed to work so that the patrolling officers are told if someone leaves the palace for a walk in the garden.

Aitchbee 09:58 09 Sep 2013

Prince Andrew may have pre-empted and thus avoided this embarrassment by simply 'popping on' a spare crown or coronet ... before going out for his unannounced garden stroll.

Woolwell 12:18 09 Sep 2013

The problem with incidents like this is that we don't know the full story eg where was the Prince's personal protection officer, did the police officers know that he was at the Palace.

I am sure that Prince Andrew can be pompous but then I suspect we all can be. He wasn't pompous when he mad me a mug of coffee and one for all the rest of the staff too.

Woolwell 14:11 09 Sep 2013

spider9 - Oh the perils of using a small screen whilst your main computer is down.

Forum Editor 14:50 09 Sep 2013

"Prince Andrew says the police do a good job and "sometimes get it wrong "

Yes, well so do Princes.

The Police are damned when they do, and damned when they don't. Were I a royal personage I think I would far rather that the Police failed safe on matters of security, and when something like this happened I would keep it between myself and the officers involved, rather than ensuring that it leaked, so I could graciously and publicly accept an apology that shouldn't have been necessary.

Prince Andrew is an insufferably pompous individual, and this incident highlights the fact.

Woolwell 16:03 09 Sep 2013

FE - I'm not completely defending Prince Andrew in this instance, not least because I have seen at first hand him "forgetting" about the police. But we do not know the full circumstances or who leaked it.

I also wonder what evidence you have for stating that he is an insufferably pompous individual.

HondaMan 16:28 09 Sep 2013

Prince Andrew is an insufferably pompous individual,

Do tell. What do you know that we don't?

Forum Editor 17:47 09 Sep 2013

"Woolwell" and HondaMan

"I also wonder what evidence you have for stating that he is an insufferably pompous individual"

"Do tell. What do you know that we don't?"

Well, I know that Former royal bodyguard Ken Wharfe said: “I’m not surprised he gave the officers a dressing down. He’s always been the most pompous and arrogant member of the Royal Family.”

A woman who knows him well is on record as saying "One minute you’re having your bum pinched, and the next minute he is reminding you he is Your Royal Highness.”

I have personally seen him in action at a conference - pomposity was his default persona.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?