Pah...Who Needs A Nose Wheel?

SimpleSimon1 11:12 27 Jun 2014

What Nose Wheel

Some inspired thinking and some nifty flying/maneuvering...impressive!

1]: [click here

johndrew 14:41 27 Jun 2014

A very interesting idea which I had never heard of. Obviously the aircraft must have a vertical landing capability but airframe damage should be minimal and removal time reduced to allow continued operation of the flight deck. I suppose the main risk is aligning the aircraft accurately given that both vessel and aircraft are moving independently of each other. Could be fun in rougher seas and/or blustery wind over the deck and would not be practical with the aircraft weight at higher levels or armed.

carver 14:49 27 Jun 2014

I thought it was an advert for an exercise machine for a handicapped hamster.

wiz-king 15:45 27 Jun 2014

I remember when most small planes were 'tail-draggers' like the Cub and the Moth.

john bunyan 15:53 27 Jun 2014

I am just reading an autobiography of "Winkle" Brown , a RN test pilot who flew over 480 types of aircraft, including German aircraft captured towards the end of WW2. At that time "jettisoned" landing / take off gear was used in quite a few makes. See "Unusual Types of gear"

Landing Gear

These were for take off rather than landing though. On a slightly different note I read somewhere that the new F-35B Lightning Joint Strike Fighter's exhaust is so hot (650 deg C) it needs special new concrete. I wonder if the new "Brown's Folly" aircraft carrier's decks will melt?

Hot exhaust

carver 16:34 27 Jun 2014

wiz-king I bet this brings back memories for you from your early flying career.

Mr Mistoffelees 16:49 27 Jun 2014

Impressive flying skill but, I'm disappointed it wasn't a story about Pinocchio.

Woolwell 19:13 27 Jun 2014

To the best of my knowledge the Harrier (or rather the UK Harriers) when we had them could not land with weapons on a carrier nor could it do so at high weights with full fuel load. The Sea King could be landed into a cradle if the wheels tuck up but they could usually be pulled down. The alternative for Harrier and helo was to land on a specially prepared mattress. This would cause damage to both but did mean the aircraft wasn't written off. I don't remember it ever being used though.

The U2 took off with pogos at each wing tip which fell off at take-off as the weight came off. It landed like a glider and ended up tipped on one wing tip.

The F4, Phantoms, required water cooled jet blast deflectors during a catapult launch otherwise the barrier would have melted.

I don't think that the landing heat will be a major problem. However we should never have gone for the vertical take-off version and bit the bullet of extra expense and installed catapults.

Tail draggers, like the Chipmunk, had to be effectively stalled on to the air strip.

Woolwell 19:14 27 Jun 2014

wheels stuck up not tuck up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?