Oxford ironmongers closing

the hick 17:13 08 Jul 2010

Anyone know this store? Nowhere near me, but it does seem a shame when emporia and establishments such as this close down. click here

interzone55 17:22 08 Jul 2010

If people shopped there then it wouldn't close.

When things like this happen it's entirely the fault of the public who choose to shop elsewhere...

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:27 08 Jul 2010

Price will always come first with the majority of people especially in the next year or two.

G

BT 17:56 08 Jul 2010

click here

Seriously though it is a pity that these places can't survive.

Some years ago my Sister bought an old Pawnbrokers shop to convert into a restaurant, and the local museum was very grateful for the donation of all the original Victorian shopfittings to form a display.

Pineman100 18:32 08 Jul 2010

Yes, I remember Gill's, although I mostly used their Chipping Norton shop.

I don't know anyone who doesn't regret the passing of independent businesses like this, and yet their demise is entirely our fault, as alan14 and Gandalf <|:-)> have pointed out.

We vote with our credit cards and we get the shops that we vote for. Darwin called it "Natural Selection" - otherwise known as the survival of the fittest.

canarieslover 19:42 08 Jul 2010

I don't think it is just a price thing as I can almost always find cheaper sources for items than B & Q. It's almost a 'sheep syndrome' where everybody follows each other to the places they see advertised on the telly.

morddwyd 20:21 08 Jul 2010

Funnily enough our local ironmonger has just moved to much larger, purpose built premises.

Much more convenient as you can walk there, have several chats along the way, and get advice on your problem to boot!

csqwared 21:27 08 Jul 2010

Much the same here where I live, just gone to bigger premises, an absolute treasure trove of the difficult to find stuff, extremely knowledgeable and helpful, and very very cheap.

BT
Thanks for that - never fails to amuse me.

Al94 21:56 08 Jul 2010

The big players like Homebase and B&Q are seriously more expensive than the independents and the quality is often lacking as well.

Quickbeam 00:02 09 Jul 2010

It's probably quite the opposite, the students have probably become much more affluent in modern times and no longer need a tin opener to live on tinned tomatoes on toast...

wids001 08:46 09 Jul 2010

Near to where I live is an "old-fashioned" ironmongers/hardware store that has been in business for over 200 years. The staff are mostly of a retirement age and still wear jackets and ties. Their knowledge of the stock is amazing and the sevice you get is second to none. Yes, there is a B&Q nearby, but you can't buy scrwes individually there, nor lose nails by the pound, and as fo fork handles, foget it - At B&Q you have to purchase a new fork.

I never use B&Q. I am still a regular at the ironmmongers and purchase just what I want for the job - no pe-packs that get half used and then stored or thrown away either.

It is an absolute treasure trove, oh and the only place I can still get my carbolic soap!

And you need to see their till. It is of a 1920's vintage, that for the past four or five years has been situated on the counter for all staff to use - previous to that they used a system of money pouches hung onto wires running across the ceiling to a central cashier who then placed any change into the pouch together with the reciept and sent it back along these wires. But after she passed they moved into the (early) 20th Century!

When you step into the shop it is just like stepping back in time!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?