OXFAM I Have no Recollection of the Payment?

Ex plorer 13:15 14 Jul 2008

Hi I receive this email and I don't have any recollection of making a payment through World-Pay for the sum of £5.00 which has been taken from my account on the 11th July.

I went to my bank with a copy of the following email and they told me that I have made a payment through WorldPay to oxfam from my switch card? but to keep an eye open for other payments that may be taken, I asked if they would not make further payments to OXFAM, but seems not.

There is no SO or DD for OXFAM so she reckoned it was a one off.
Can any one tel me if this is an authentic email before I ring or send an email to find out how it was deducted.

Sent: [09/07/2008 9:5]

Subject: Thank you from Oxfam

Thank you
Your transaction has been processed by WorldPay, on behalf of OXFAM.

Thank you very much for your generous gift of GBP 5.00 to support Oxfam's work throughout the world.

For more than 60 years Oxfam has been turning donations such as yours into positive action which is transforming the lives of some of the world's poorest people. Together we have helped farming families to get more from their land; given children the chance to go to school; and ensured that opportunities are open to everyone - even the most vulnerable - in a community. We've also campaigned for changes in policies, both locally and internationally, which will ensure that poor people's efforts are properly rewarded.

To read more about what we do and find out how you can get more involved, including making a regular donation, just click here: click here

If you'd like to talk to someone about Oxfam's work, please call 0300 200 1300 and we'll be more than happy to help.

Thank you once again for your valuable support.

Paul Mullins
Head of Supporter Relations

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. If you have any questions, please email mailto:[email protected]

Oxfam works with others to overcome poverty and suffering.
Oxfam is a registered charity in England and Wales (no 202918) and Scotland (SCO 039042) and a company limited by guarantee registered in England No 612172 at Oxfam House,
John Smith Drive, Cowley, Oxford OX4 2JY. Oxfam GB is a member of Oxfam International.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Transaction details:
Transaction for the value of: GBP 5.00
Description: Donation : : : options|type=INDV
Merchant's cart ID: 2008LNA001
Authorisation Date/Time: 09/Jul/2008 08:51:58
WorldPay's transaction ID: 1461660161
This is not a tax receipt.

If you have a query about your donation
This confirmation only indicates that your transaction has been processed successfully. It does not indicate that your payment has been accepted. It is the responsibility of OXFAM to confirm that your payment has been accepted.

If you have any questions about your donation (including wanting to cancel your donation), please email OXFAM at: mailto:[email protected], with the transaction details listed above.

Thank you for your donation to OXFAM.
=========================================================================
When you submit your transaction for processing by World Pay you confirm your acceptance of WorldPay?s shopper privacy policy, a copy of which can be viewed at: click here

To find out more about how your transaction was processed, visit WorldPay?s Frequently Asked Questions at:
click here
Thanks for reading
Ex

Seth Haniel 13:35 14 Jul 2008

using your card - that maybe buying they would donate £5 to Oxfam???

Coffee Adict 13:43 14 Jul 2008

Isn't there something about these small transactions being used to verify a card is live before being used fraudulently. Sorry don't want to put the wind up you.

medicine hat 14:05 14 Jul 2008

Well, Oxfam do use WorldPay click here and the email confirmation came to you so I doubt you've got anything to worry about

Coffee Adict 14:17 14 Jul 2008

Knew I'd read something somewhere, a little out of date but may be of interest.

click here

Ex plorer 15:06 14 Jul 2008

Thanks for all the feed back, I would rather be on the look out and warned by what you have seen on the web as not.
I did buy an item on June 6th and I have the receipt, but there is nothing to mention OXFAM.

wiz-king 16:22 14 Jul 2008

My bank stopped my card when it was used on an Italian site for 56 pence. Apparently the site is often used to test cards before clearing them out - they must have used it too often as the bank flagged it up and stopped the card.

spuds 16:36 14 Jul 2008

What was you doing on the 09/Jul/2008 08:51:58

That might perhaps give you a clue, as to where the deduction was made.

mikef. 18:00 14 Jul 2008

When my credit card details were stolen they tried to make an Oxfam payment to test the card, so unless you can confirm it you need to contact your bank again, apparently they are using charities more often now as people don't like to reject them immediately

Forum Editor 19:03 14 Jul 2008

you would remember making a charitable donation five days ago, wouldn't you?.

If you didn't make the payment you need to get your card issuer to stop the card immediately, because someone has tested the card prior to making other, larger purchases.

Worldpay had your email address on the transaction, so if it wasn't you it was someone who had both your card details and your email address - something you should be concerned about, and should act upon immediately.

sunny staines 19:44 14 Jul 2008

as coffee addict says this is common.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?