Own Brand "Instant Coffee" Ugh!

wee eddie 11:37 21 Nov 2006

I thought that I would save a few pennies by buying my local Supermarket's Own Brand "Instant Coffee", it was their most expensive variety as well.

At, what I would describe as normal strength, e.g. 1 heaped teaspoon. It tasted like dishwater.

To get anything that tastes acceptable I need to use about twice the quantity. This actually makes it more expensive. The upside of this is that it will be gone in half the time!

Am I unusual or is this par for the course.

Kate B 11:45 21 Nov 2006

The only good instant coffee is Nescafe's Alta Rica. Otherwise, buy ground coffee and use a cafetiere.

jack 12:00 21 Nov 2006

Virtually all instant is er 'bland' it's had the flavour cooked/frozen out of it.
I think [but not certain] that some instants have a 'flavour' additive.
When a fresh jar is opened it smells great - but after a time it just fades away.
You can also add - age - yours - not the coffee the older we get the palette gets 'blunted'
As a youngster I used love the smell of roasting coffee but not like to drink it .
I could not eat liver and some other strong flavoured foods, but 60 years on - eat/drink it all - it tastes of--- nuffin much.

spuds 12:16 21 Nov 2006

Nothing like a suitcase full of coffee from Colombia. As a 'tourist' you can get large free samples, direct from the mill's.The end taste is absolutely divine.Highly recommended.

Now my supplies have diminished, I really on Asda SmartPrice :O(

Skills 13:11 21 Nov 2006

IT is the case with all cheap instants ive found the only instants I like are either kenco or nescafe gold blend.

sunny staines 13:21 21 Nov 2006

tesco own brand instant coffee worst i have ever tasted, best coffee is blue mountain coffee beans from a company in harrogate in yorkshire forgotten the name. but sold in betty's cafe in centre of york.

had a krupps coffee machine that made good coffee but the seals on the machine kept going making it too expensive to keep repairing. back to a cafertier

anchor 13:59 21 Nov 2006

We always use either Nescafe Gold Blend, or Dowe Egbert's Instant.

Fortunately age has not diminished my sense of taste and smell.

I did find that the lower priced Carrefour Freeze dried instant we got in France this summer was more than acceptable. Perhaps the French are more discriminating.

For those unfamiliar with Carrefour, they are the largest retailer in Europe, and the second largest in the world.

Z1100 14:02 21 Nov 2006

Columbian Coffee was only used to ship drugs...

I never knew you could drink it! ;)

Hanx!
K.

SB23 14:06 21 Nov 2006

I'm going to have to get my wife to read this.
I usually do the weekly shop, but the last time I was unable to move with a back problem for 10 days my wife purchased a own brand from one of the large supermarkets. Trust me when I say that no amount of sugar or milk made a difference to the soap waterey taste. Even if I have to crawl, I go now, lol.
Currently Kenco is my favourite.

Steve

sunny staines 14:21 21 Nov 2006

kenco sure is a nice coffee, but adding milk & sugar is not for the seasoned coffee drinker.

When in Italy they added two shots of ameretto an almond liquor which gave a diffent taste.

wee eddie 14:25 21 Nov 2006

I first developed a taste for coffee in Turkey and later-on in Greece.

I don't think that they'd appreciate your comment about sugar, although I cannot remember ever having seen a Greek with milk in his coffee.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?