Is our system of government working??

dwaynedibbly 21:51 24 Jan 2010

IMHO not when decisions such as this are made.
click here

It makes you wonder, just what are they trying to hide?

Perhaps in 70yrs when we are (mostly) all dead and buried, the truth will out.
It only cements the feeling of apathy I now have towards voting in the next General Election.

ame 22:33 24 Jan 2010

Nope. I haven't voted for some years now. Anyone who has direct experience of government and politicians - even local government - will realise there are some pretty naff people with little or no morals in the system, to say the least. Yes Minister was much more real than you may think. But better here than in Afghanistan, though.....

Forum Editor 23:02 24 Jan 2010

just what are they trying to hide?"

I don't know, but the fact you have to face is that there will be some things that need to be hidden in even the most liberal of democratic systems. I have no idea whether the circumstances involving this death touched on matters of National Security, but that's certainly the implication behind the 70 year ruling on evidence and the 30 year secrecy order on written records.

There can be little or nothing in the protected information that would be of direct interest to you or I, but if the rulings induce a feeling of apathy in you it's your affair - frankly I have far more important things to think about than the specific circumstances of a government weapons inspector's death.

We are living through a time when many people are seemingly obsessed with the idea that our government is hiding all kinds of crucial information from us. These people appear to believe that we all have an absolute right to know everything about everything, regardless of the fact that much of the information in secret government documents will be totally incomprehensible to most of us, and does not affect our daily lives by one iota, aside from the fact that much of it is about the work of the security services, and is concerned with our national safety.

I'm quite sure that from time to time some information is deliberately suppressed because it might harm the careers of those involved. This applies in government Ministries, in the upper levels of industrial management, and in your supermarket manager's office - people all over the country, in all walks of life make mistakes and attempt to prevent everyone knowing about it.

A valuable part of being a mature,experienced adult lies in understanding a bit about human nature, and recognising that there's no such thing as a totally open society - it's simply not possible, and it never will be.

zzzz999 07:22 25 Jan 2010

Forum Editor how in the name of sanity, the law and freedom of information can the results of the autopsy become a state secret? I'm sorry but your thinking on this issue is well wide of the mark. There are fundamental issues at play not least the protection of the citizen from murder by the state. And, that's not to say Dr Kelly was murdered by the state, but there is an uneasiness around his timely death which is not ameliorated by this rediculous judgement.

A valuable part of being a mature, experienced adult is spotting a crock of sh1t when one sees it and this ruling is such a crock.

For every empty head that chunters 'if you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear' with the next piece of legislation to erode your civil liberties, remember moments like these, when it appears the state can cover up anything it wants and you, the sheepy populace, better just accept that and get back to watching X factor.

bri-an 09:13 25 Jan 2010

I agree with you, that this business stinks, and it cannot be justified to hide information for 70 years.
This death, about which other medical opinion said was never proved as suicide, click here
was connected to a war which caused thousands of deaths.
For that reason alone it should be completely open - if some careers are harmed then so be it!

morddwyd 10:42 25 Jan 2010

'Is our system of government working??'

Maybe not, but can you think of a better one?

Flawed or not it is still democracy.

OTT_B 10:51 25 Jan 2010

I'm quite sure there are a lot of reasons why the post motem information could be kept secret, but the one that springs to mind is that due to the sensitive (and somewhat unique) nature of the case, tests were done post mortem that family members would find disturbing.

michaelw 11:20 25 Jan 2010

...I'm quite sure there are a lot of reasons why the post motem information could be kept secret, but the one that springs to mind is that due to the sensitive (and somewhat unique) nature of the case, tests were done post mortem that family members would find disturbing...

Or it may be that some government officials would find it disturbing if the results were made public.

You can usually get a feel of most conspiracy plots but this one is different. No less than seven independent doctors have stated from the evidence that Dr Kelly couldn't have committed suicide.

ky72 11:29 25 Jan 2010

Well Gordon Brown is LIVE on the tv now & i hate to be biased but i just cant trust him anymore! he's good with Money NOT the position he's in at the mo! (PM) IF so many people dont trust the parties then something should be done! if the very people that pay there wages & keep this country bank rolling! then why cant we have a bigger say in the policies like the one above! it seems that the goverment regardless of party took over & we the public have no say over the matter! this may of happened many moons ago but in the light of lack of intrest in voting! the goverment should maybe wake up! let us have our say! they exsist because of us not use because of them!

ky72 11:51 25 Jan 2010

Slightly going off track again whats your views on this.? again the public been denied the truth! & access

click here

OTT_B 11:56 25 Jan 2010

It's no secret that Kelly talking to a journalist had already caused major embarrassment to varying government officials. It is also not unreasonable to assume that said government officials would have been taking actions to discredit either Kelly or the journalist (Andrew Gilligan), or both of them.

But to think that anyone would need to stage a suicide to prove a point is far fetched at best. It would have been far easier to revoke his Security Clearance and prosecute him under the Official Secrets Act. Any court case could have been held behind closed doors and would have generated far less interest.

It may be that no less than seven doctors have said Kelly could not have committed suicide. But one inquiry and one coroners report have said that he did.

I can't see a conspiracy here. Just a lot of secret information being hidden from the public. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to klnow what that informations is. But it is only intrigue. Nothing more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone