Oral language tests too stressful.

Belatucadrus 00:39 18 Feb 2008
Answered

click here
Only in England with our world leading bloody awful grasp of foreign tongues could anybody seriously propose language qualifications without the necessity to speak the language. Just in case the poor little mites get all confused by somebody not using txt spch innit. Maybe in their traumatised state they could do themselves an injury with a cup of tea ?
Wonder if Hazel Blears will be applying the same standards to immigrants in her much vaunted push on English click here
Most of them seem to speak better English than we do already.

robgf 01:05 18 Feb 2008

I would agree that oral language tests are very stressful, especially if you are fairly introverted.
My English oral test for O level, is the only exam I can clearly remember, all these decades later.

But you survive and it helps to prepare you for other occasions when you have to stand in front of groups of people and speak, such as a best man speech, or even addressing a meeting at work. And you find that after a while it's not so scary, although I still get butterflies before the event.

It's probably better to have it forced on you at an early age, than spend your life frightened that you might have to speak in the future.

lisa02 06:12 18 Feb 2008

I hated French at school (more so the Teacher), I hated speaking in front of the class and I got plenty of detentions for refusing. I didn't pass the GCSE, the only GCSE I got a grade D in but I didn't care.

Thanks for reminding me of it.

DANZIG 08:23 18 Feb 2008

When I was at school during our French lessons we were ONLY allowed to speak in French throughout the entire lesson.

Surely this type of approach increases confidence in everyone. I know I was terminally shy when I was at school and I know it helped me out no end.

What is the point in being taught a language if the person being taught isn't tested on their ability to speak it?

If this stupid rule goes the distance then we will be stuck with employees in the future with 'A' grades in French, German etc who have no ability to actually speak the language with any degree of competence.

Al94 08:47 18 Feb 2008

Wrapping kids up in cotton wool does nothing to prepare them for the real world. This is a ridiculous suggestion, typical of this current shambolic government.

interzone55 08:59 18 Feb 2008

I didn't do French at school, I hated it, so my options for O Level were German or Latin, naturally I went for the dead language, we didn't have to do an oral exam, although the classical studies element of the exam allowed us to draw a rather nice picture of a Roman soldier...

Stuartli 09:48 18 Feb 2008

Aren't you aware that the majority of UK residents have always (somewhat arrogantly) assumed that no matter where you go in the world you will come across someone who speaks English?

To a large extent it's quite true, as I know from personal experience, but it's still puts us to shame.

In fact many Brits even expect - and demand - food favourites such as fish and chips no matter where they spend a holiday, rather than experience and enjoy the local culture.

Bingalau 09:49 18 Feb 2008

I went to night school to learn German and to keep my brain ticking over. The German teacher got us speaking to each other and her, in the language right from the first lesson. Then when it came to the actual oral exam at the end of the term, we found it came easier. But still an exam is an exam and is still nerve wracking. However, I am glad I learned the amount I did because it has brought me friends all over the world.

Quickbeam 09:53 18 Feb 2008

click here now have to take an oral exam, to make sure they understand the basics of the first language of this country.

interzone55 10:53 18 Feb 2008

They only need to be able to answer two questions

1) What time are you on till?

2) Are you busy tonight?

Quickbeam 11:06 18 Feb 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?