Opticians

Covergirl 22:04 21 Feb 2009

.Mopticians this morning had 5 counter staff (dressed in black uniforms) and one optician.

Now tell me where my money is going when I can buy reading glasses in Poundland, or pay £140 to my opticians for (virtually) the same thing.

Keeps a few lasses in pin money I suppose . . . .

interzone55 22:23 21 Feb 2009

Will the glasses from poundland match your prescription, or will they just make your eyes worse and give you a headache whilst you struggle to focus through the wrong lenses.

I've got to say that the only thing I will never skimp on is glasses. But then again my sister-in-law is an optometrist and would kill me if she saw me in a pair of cheap specs...

rdave13 22:46 21 Feb 2009

Been using those cheap magnifying glasses for five years now. Lowest magnification and can read and see monitor well. Cost a few pounds for two pairs and no eyesight deterioration so far.

Where is the wood I can touch!

al's left peg 22:55 21 Feb 2009

I had an op on my right eye when I was seven years old. The optician told my mother I should wear glasses for the rest of my life and that by doing so, my eyesight would become weaker as the eyes depend on the glasses. I wore them for about 2 years, but got the mickey taken so much at school I threw them out the bus window on the way home from school one day. I have never worn any glasses since and believe, just like dental treatment in this country it is a right rip off. Why do we pay so much bloody tax in this country for a NHS system then still have to fork out of our own pockets for health care?

Covergirl 22:57 21 Feb 2009

. . . that's why they're dearer" was one explanation in Specsavers.

So do the ones on these £1 glasses.

With a 'script of 1.5 and 1.25, a pair of 1's or 2's do me fine.

Why can't the opticians offer similar advice? Well, they're in business to make themselves a fortune I assume. It just narks me. Sorry.

birdface 23:32 21 Feb 2009

Brother bought a pair out of the £1 shop so I am not going to tell you how much they cost.You have probably seen them small glasses that fits into a small case that you can clip on to your pocket.
Anyway he must have dropped them out of his pocket on to the driveway while looking for the door key.
Anyhow he looked out of the window in the morning and there was the glass case.,His daughter had ran over it in her car when going to work.
He picked them up and tried to open the bashed case and eventually managed to pull the glasses out with not a scratch on them.
Still wares them to-day.Had to get another case though.

cream. 23:34 21 Feb 2009

asked me if I have ever has a collestoral check as he could see mine was high by looking into my eyes.

It was. 7.8

Changing diet and a daily pill has brought it down to a constant 4.3

Oh and they told me my eyesight is fine so no glasses.

Stuartli 00:01 22 Feb 2009

I have a friend who actually manufactures most of the pairs of glasses my town's opticians supply to customers.

Their prices mark up reach 300 per cent or more to customers.

natdoor 14:07 22 Feb 2009

Non-prescription glasses may be suitable for people with presbyopia or hypermetropia, providing they don't have astigmatism. I believe that everyone should have at least occasional eye tests to monitor for glaucoma, macular degeneration and some other diseases. (I am not an optician!)

sunnystaines 14:20 22 Feb 2009

most people have one eye slightly stronger than the other that is why you need each eye tested not these DIY ones in stores.

tammer 14:31 22 Feb 2009

I always haggle in my opticians. Just ask for a discount and see what you get. 15% should be the minimum you'll accept.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?