The Open

morddwyd 09:35 13 Jul 2010

The Open Golf starts this week in St Andrews, just a "hoot 'n' a holler'" down the road.

200,000 extra people on cobbled streets, some of which would have difficulty taking a pony and trap, all prices nudged up a tad or more, and no parking within five miles or so!

No worse than Sandwich or other places on their day, and good business for those whose livelihoods depend on it, but a definite reason for a twenty mile detour for the next week!

birdface 10:26 13 Jul 2010

Just checking the prices and £45 for a pensioner+£10 parking for the day plus trveling expenses from the west coast has just put me off.
I was a day late for the loch lomond event.
£20 a day and free parking + the right side of the country.
So looks like a boat ride down the costa del clyde tomorrow instead.

Quickbeam 10:28 13 Jul 2010

You have to make hay when the sun shines. We have the St Ledger races which brings a bonus week to all our local businesses.

Two exceptions I can think of are a miserable sod that used to run the local shop in Glenridding in The Lakes. I was in there on a blistering hot day buying an ice cream when a coachful of tourists stopped and got out, and then he moaned to himself, his wife and the assistants about the 'bloody two minute tourists'. Take their money while you can I said!

The other was 30+ years ago, the Landlady of The Railway Tavern in Union Mills, IOM didn't like bikers, so she shut up shop during the TT and GP fortnights, braindead or what? Those 4 weeks would have been the icing on the cake!

dms_05 14:17 13 Jul 2010

I lived in a small village on the Vale of York where the landlord of one of the two pubs didn't like people in general and his customers in particular. On a winters night he would close all the curtains, extinguish all exterior lights and go and sit in his private rooms. He would serve you if you waited but wasn't beyond declaring 'time gentleman' at any hour if he wanted to watch a TV programme. So why did people still go there when less than 100 yards away was a brightly lit, friendly pub with good food, wine and beer? Takes all sorts!

I suspect he now spends 15 hours a day on the Internet in dark room.

Bingalau 15:45 13 Jul 2010

Thank God there's not many landlords of pubs like that.

Woolwell 17:17 15 Jul 2010

Is there a dress code? See click here

ams4127 19:27 15 Jul 2010

I played there once about 20 years ago. A most disappointing and unpleasant experience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?