Oops!

Jak_1 20:17 03 Jan 2007

Just spent an hour trying to find out why my my external drive in a caddy was not working and thinking I may have to replace a dead drive. Then I noticed the USB cable had been pullout from it's socket! Why do we never check the basic things first, lol.

Totally-braindead 20:20 03 Jan 2007

I can do better than that. Spent about a week trying to work out why my numeric pad on my keyboard wouldn't work and then realised I'd knocked the Num Lock button off. Now thats stupid. Beats you by a mile.

Jak_1 21:05 03 Jan 2007

Ive done that before too, but it didn't take me as long to notice why. The numlock light was off.

hijo 00:40 04 Jan 2007

my cousin called me the other week in desperation that he needed to get to his emails but couldnt due to his pc not booting to desktop,he'd tried for 30 mins to sort it & i went through nearly EVERYTHING with him then i asked him to reboot his pc i then knew what it was he'd left a disc in drive that was stopping the pc from booting...doh
H

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:39 04 Jan 2007

PC very slow to boot

One of the games I play really slow to load.

ran an sfc and did a repair install still same.

Uninstalled the game and its support, reinstalled still same problem.

spent a week tweaking services and settings still same.

Removed blank CD from RW drive and everything back to normal.

TonyV 19:40 04 Jan 2007

Similar sort of thing! We visited some friends before Christmas and was asked if I would look at setting up their VHS system which is part of a DVD player and VHS system. We tried everything including reading the manual and re-tuning the system. Still there was no joy the video just would not play. I then said is the tape alright and was assured that it was. However, I put another tape in and everything worked fine. The suspect tape has now been thrown in the bin!! All this after about two hours of checking everything including returning the system to the as shipped condition.

As Jak_1 says, why don't we check the obvious things first!

TonyV

Strawballs 17:09 05 Jan 2007

My neighbour said that emails are very slow because he had not received one his friend hd sent him a week ago, so I checked for him nd he had not set up his account when I did after finding out his mail address and password he had 196 come through!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone