online retailers uk uncompetitive?

rickf 11:16 18 Mar 2015

I bought a guitar from online retailer in Germany and saved £53. No online UK retailers would match the price. It has been a very pleasant experience buying from the company concerend. Arrived in 3 days by DHL free shipping with full tracking from point of order to delivery via email alerts. I did'nt have to do a thing. Extremely well packed in double box. Customer service was more than happy to help to say the least. I enquired before ordering and the response was polite, efficient and to the point. Contrast this with my general experience from UK retialers and its a no brainer. I often found that customer service in the UK showed a reluctance to help, sometimes begrudgingly, like sending me tracking details,etc., When you spent £500 you do want to be able to track your order. Why is service here so bad in the UK and why are they such rip-offs? Is this a matter of British attitude towards work or company policy?

Forum Editor 11:25 18 Mar 2015

"Why is service here so bad in the UK and why are they such rip-offs?"

it's not my experience that UK online businesses are bad at customer service, or that suppliers rip you off. It may be yours, but I think you must have been unlucky.

We have some of the world's best online retailers in this country, but every supplier - even European mainland suppliers - have their share of customer services issues. UK suppliers have to operate in an extremely competitive market sector, and they simply would not survive if they ripped people off and provided bad customer service - there's no difference between the UK and Germany in those respects.

rickf 11:40 18 Mar 2015

I can only express my opinion from my experience. UK customer service often sulky and reluctant, almost resentful that one has the cheek to ask questions. I am not the only one to express this opinion. I went to the said companies website and there were many British/English customers giving them praise and contrasting it with the UK experience. I understand we are a proud nation and people but being defensive is not the way to go!

rickf 11:41 18 Mar 2015

Just to add. I have not been unlucky at all. I do almost all my shopping online from computers to musical equipment and most things between.

tullie 11:48 18 Mar 2015

I have no unpleasent experience of UK online sales.

wee eddie 12:04 18 Mar 2015

I have not yet had a bad online experience and I buy from all over the place, China, Japan, Australia, Europe and the UK.

I'm sure that one will come my way at some time, but that is the way of the world and I don't think that it is anymore likely to come from the UK as any of the other potential sources.

BT 12:24 18 Mar 2015

Ordered some Diamond cutting discs for my B&D Minicraft (like a Dremel) at midday yesterday and they came firstpost this morning. Can't complain at that.

BT 12:25 18 Mar 2015

PS Got 6 for £1.99 including 2 mandrels and post free at that.

Pine Man 13:07 18 Mar 2015

I have bought worldwide and the only difference I have ever found is the cost certainly NOT customer service. Just go where the price is right.

Forum Editor 14:01 18 Mar 2015

"I have not been unlucky at all. I do almost all my shopping online from computers to musical equipment and most things between."

Presumably you do not buy all that shopping from Germany? If you buy from UK suppliers I wonder why you bother if the service is so bad, and you're being ripped off.

In 2014 UK online purchases totalled just over £100 billion, and the figure is growing - almost a quarter of all retail sales now take place online.

Those figures are not being achieved by suppliers ripping people off, and giving them bad customer service. I think you're making a fairly common mistake - you had one good experience with a German supplier and you seem to think that's a justification for making sweeping adverse comments about British retailers.

Belatucadrus 16:50 18 Mar 2015

Recently purchased some stuff via a UK Amazon agent, didn't match the description so I posted as much in the feedback, I didn't contact them direct as the discrepancy was irritating but not worth arguing over. They immediately corrected the website error and asked me if I wanted a replacement or a refund, I said I'd use what was supplied as it would do the job and left things in their hands as to any follow up, I got both a refund and replacement product. Not exactly Rip Off Britain.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?