Online PCA helpline instant answers but...........

Sethhaniel 14:53 18 Oct 2006

in PCA magazine 'Helpline' - do these people really sit with a problem for a month or two till the answer appears in the Helpline pages ;)

Often wondered ;)

anskyber 15:13 18 Oct 2006

I thought just the same when I read my copy a day or two ago.

Incidentally (shameless grovel to PCA) I thought the mag was particularly helpful this month even though my feeble brain still gets confused about the cover DVD and what is a trial/freeware/shareware/or otherwise timelimited bit of software before a purchase is required. Perhaps I should go and lie down for a while.

Mivvi Mongoose 15:23 18 Oct 2006

I've often wondered that too. Some of the problems may be minor, but others quite serious; possibly with a machine not even working. It would be a long time to wait for the next issue of the magazine in those cases.

Perhaps a private response is given quickly, and the q and a displayed later if the letter is chosen for publication.

anskyber 15:28 18 Oct 2006

Of course, that would be reasonable but it still begs the question of why write rather than come here. Personal preference I suppose.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:38 18 Oct 2006

"why write rather than come here"

depends on the problem of course.

if the machine will not boot to windows
or you can't get on the internet,
you do not have access to another PC (at work for instance)
then the what else can you do but write a letter and hope you get an answer.

wiz-king 16:49 18 Oct 2006

Most of the technical questions have been posted here. I think that if they want to publish a forum question they will email and ask permission.

anskyber 16:49 18 Oct 2006

True but, a quick scan through this months issue suggests that most if not all are still on fully functioning machines. (doubts about one or two)

I think its personal preference or maybe a reluctance to get involved with the forum environment.

anskyber 17:01 18 Oct 2006

Pure speculation this but in the absence of anything better to do I re read the PCA mag guidance in the "Helpline" and contact is first by e-mail although you can write. The liklihood is (I'll no doubt be corrected!) most people will e-mail and probably get a reasonably quick reply so they do not wait around for months as I thought, not having previously given it much of a thought.

Some questions do look very similar to points placed on this site but I would imagine there are many people who would prefer a response from an "expert" on the mag rather than from here. Or I could be talking a load of tosh!

Sethhaniel 08:17 19 Oct 2006

"response from an "expert" on the mag rather than from here"
as long as you dont have to install a new power supply -page 85 in December issue ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?