One for the radio hams.

Toneman 19:09 20 Jun 2012

I'm sure there are one or two of you out there..do you remember in the good old days when we used to be able to send orders for "wireless" components to suppliers for things like one or two resistors, a couple "condensers", two or three transistors, etc. I recall Premier Radio was one, I made a lot of purchases with them. To get to the point, I am toying with making up a simple servo controller to run a servo motor driving a level crossing barrier on my layout. I have a circuit which should make up on copper strip board. Is there anywhere I might purchase a set of the components I need, other than individually on fleabay? Probably not in this day and age, but thought I might ask.

Aitchbee 19:21 20 Jun 2012

I remember TANDY (radioshack) were good for those sorts of things, but I don't think they are now in business. Maplins might keep the item in stock.

canarieslover 19:31 20 Jun 2012

Try RS Components. RS It's a few years since I last used them but they seemed to have everything in the way of small components then.

interzone55 19:48 20 Jun 2012

Maplin?

There's still a Radio Shack in Lancaster, maybe there's more around.

We buy small components for work from Farnell, not sure if they sell to the public

VCR97 19:54 20 Jun 2012

Maplin, although the range isn't as good as it used to be.

Squires, www.squirestools.com/electcat.htm

Toneman 19:59 20 Jun 2012

Thanks folks, I'll try your suggestions.

morddwyd 20:19 20 Jun 2012

I sent a reply to this thread which didn't appear, so this is just a test

morddwyd 20:20 20 Jun 2012

H'm. That's curious.

caccy 20:33 20 Jun 2012

Try CPC FARNELL they hold a good range of electronic components http://www.cpc.farnell.com/

birdface 20:36 20 Jun 2012

Maplins or RS Components is the only two that I know but there are bound to be others.

R S Components will be a bit more expensive and usually only supply to trade.But they have a few trade shops about that will serve you.

Nuneaton.Corby.Nottingham.Southampton.There is one near Heathrow that is just a few that I know of.

Maplin has shops all over so they may be your best bet to try first.

octal 21:19 20 Jun 2012

There is Cricklewood Electronics in north west London, I've been using them for years, they do a lot of odd semiconductors that are normally quite hard to get.

Sadly gone are the days when you could go down Lisle Street or Tottenham Court Road for unmitigated junk. Now I have to wait till the likes of the Luton and Dunstable radio rally to top up my junk these days, the only problem it seems to be getting very expensive these days for the simplest things.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?