One Operating System

saab10 11:13 08 Sep 2005

One Operating System
Recently one of my friends, a computer wizard, paid me a visit. As we were talking I mentioned that I had recently installed Windows 95 on my PC, I told him how happy I was with this operating system and showed him the Windows 95 CD. Too my surprise he threw it into my micro-wave oven and turned on the oven. Instantly I got very upset, because the CD had become precious to me, but he said: 'Do not worry, it is unharmed.' After a few minutes he took the CD out, gave it to me and said: 'Take a close look at it.' To my surprise the CD was quite cold to hold and it seemed to be heavier than before. At first I could not see anything, but on the inner edge of the central hole I saw a inscription, an inscription finer than anything I have ever seen before. The inscription shone piercingly bright, and yet remote, as if out of a great depth:

1213AEBED4FA56F7D7E8EDE09402F9240EE0E50CC9D44AA08324

'I cannot understand the fiery letters,' I said. 'No but I can,' he said. 'The letters are Hex, of an ancient mode, but the language is that of Microsoft, which I shall not utter here. But in common English this is what it says:'

One OS to rule them all, One OS to find them, One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

bremner 11:30 08 Sep 2005

Unfortunately it does not. There are twenty six hex entries in the set.

The opening 12h and 13h are Line feed and vertical tab respectively.

Only the 56h which is a V and the 24h which is a $ are actual characters.

Pidder 14:42 08 Sep 2005

Of course, it is bad for your microwave to operate without moisture in it. Does yours still work?

Pooke 16:33 08 Sep 2005

OMG

octal 17:43 08 Sep 2005

In case anyone wants to see the hex conversion: click here

Pooke 19:28 08 Sep 2005

LMAO

gudgulf 21:21 08 Sep 2005

it will take more than the appearance of a computer wizard to set the members of *this* forum off on strange adventures!

octal 21:33 08 Sep 2005

You could have found something more original:

click here

sidecar sid 23:17 08 Sep 2005

Take your pick

click here=

saab10 00:35 09 Sep 2005

sorry about that but found it whilst clearing up me desk. it was something to do -- better than doing paper work and it brought a little joy to our otherwise mundane? lives, oh to get home to my ever loving Computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?