One laptop per child

WhiteTruckMan 00:12 26 Jul 2007

I think that lots of people will have heard about the project to supply simple laptops to third world children. Its an aim I am fully in favour of, and I thought some members might like to have a look at this

click here

I must say that initial impressions are (to me) impressive, especially at the price.

Maybe PCA could borrow one for a test?

WTM

laurie53 09:50 26 Jul 2007

The £100 laptop?

How long before they appear on e-bay?

recap 10:51 26 Jul 2007

I agree with you WTM, I have only one concern and that is the power supply. In some of the poorer countries electricity is a luxury, I was wondering if this has been taken in to account? Will there be an external power supply like the wind up dynamo for instance?

paul trotter 11:43 26 Jul 2007

We've been speaking to the UK representatives of OLPC, and hope to have one of the laptops to play with in the autumn. So watch this space!

Paul Trotter, Editor

J Cricket 13:41 26 Jul 2007

When I first heard about OLPC it had a hand crack on the side to generate the power, but the design has changed a bit since then so I'm not sure if this is still the case.

amonra 13:58 26 Jul 2007

I hope the design avoids using the same plastic covers as Fuji-Seimens use ?????????????

interzone55 15:23 26 Jul 2007

There's a hand crank on the laptop, so you keep fit whilst you play tetris etc.

As for them appearing on eBay, I very much doubt it as they're only being sold to developing nations in huge quantities, they won't be available to the general public.

On the other hand, if you want a very cheap laptop, look here: click here

laurie53 19:29 26 Jul 2007

"they're only being sold to developing nations in huge quantities, they won't be available to the general public."

You mean like the famine relief supplies regularly available on the black market?

WhiteTruckMan 20:00 26 Jul 2007

that ebay would bar the sale of them. We will have to wait and see on that one, but I agree with laurie53 about the famine relief, having seen it with my own eyes.

paul trotter-Maybe you should try borrowing a few of them, as I understand one of the features of them is the ability to develop 'ad hoc' networks with similar machines. Also, perhaps try one out on a complete computer novice, bearing in mind they are meant for third world children. (that isnt a slight on the childrens intelligence, merely a possible lack of IT skills)

WTM

interzone55 20:21 26 Jul 2007

Frankly I think the spec of this laptop would put off most buyers.

Or maybe you want a laptop with a 400Mhz processor, no hard drive, extremely basic OS etc

I'm not denigrating the OLPC, just emphasising that it has been built down to a price for a specific market.

Forum Editor 23:12 26 Jul 2007

The whole idea is not to make a machine that would be attractive to ordinary buyers, but one that will sell to nations, for use by schoolchildren. The machine has been deliberately developed so as to be affordable for developing countries and useable by any child - simplicity and accessibility have been the keywords.

Libya has already committed to buying 1.2 million of these machines - one for every school-age child in the country, and Peru and Rwanda have also announced their participation in the scheme.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?