One hundred years of madness, or not?

TopCat® 16:57 29 May 2007

Frank Hulbert and Jack Marshall cannot have realised the significance of the moment as they pointed their single-cylinder motorcycles up the dusty track towards Ballacraine, Isle of Man at 10 am on the cold, cloudy morning of 28th of May 1907.

The Isle of Man Tourist Trophy races were born as the two Triumphs spluttered into life to start their 158-mile journey around the 15-mile 1430-yard St John's Course. From that moment on more than 200 riders have died in the TT and its sister event the Manx Grand Prix over the last 100 years. Nevertheless, these statistics have not deterred the rising number of entrants determined to qualify for the 37.73 mile race over narrow public roads. aclick here

Because of the dangers, there are concerns in some quarters for the safety of these riders and the narrowness of the circuit makes it virtually impossible to provide any modern safety features as found at other modern race tracks.

I have heard before that speed restrictions ought to be applied at the most dangerous parts of the course, but I don't necessarily agree with this view. It would not be a race in the true sense of the word and the riders enter knowing very well what they're about to face so, in my opinion, should not be distracted further with speed limit restrictions.

Anyone agree with me on this or not? TC.

MrNerdy 17:07 29 May 2007

To be honest anyone brave enough to tackle the TT course at speed deserves a mention.
It may not be 'pc' these days but the TT race is one of the top races in the world for bike racing!

And i'm not a biker either.

Noldi 17:10 29 May 2007

Speed restrictions on a race track? all they can do is put chicanes in. Barry Shene always refused to ride there even when it was a world championship race. Even though he rode at Oliver’s Mount in Scarborough that is just as dangerous. The North West 500 is also a very dangerous race probably more so than Isle of Man but nobody mention that.
Motor racing is dangerous its your choice you know the odds take it or leave it.

Noldi

wiz-king 18:35 29 May 2007

They cant all have ignored the faeries surely?
it is a most exhilarating race, I have been round twice - once on a 750cc Triton (fast)and also on my old 1937 K31 Enfield (hand gear change and total loss oil system - mostly onto the rear tyre!).

Legolas 18:39 29 May 2007

Too much nanny state, the riders in the TT are well aware of the dangers and if they want to risk their lives then that is their decision

laurie53 19:36 29 May 2007

I'm reminded of the earlier thread about parachute jumping.

At a guess I would say more people are killed jumping out of aeroplanes than are killed in the TT.

Perhaps they should all be on a static line!

Whaty 15:23 30 May 2007

I know this is a 'closed' thread but I've just seen this article and I thought you would like a read....

click here

Me, I love the TT. I've been lucky enough to go to both the TT and the Manx GP.

Terry

Quickbeam 09:04 31 May 2007

I've visited the IOM for the TT on & off for years. I've done my ton-up lap at first light (highly illegal even by IOM laws), dodging dustbin lorries & milk floats! I've competed in the Ramsey sprint (early 80's). I've of read of the exploits of TT heroes that had to change exhaust valves by themselves, mid race, in the early days. I've read of the sounds of the mid '50s- early two strokes & of the V8 factory exotica...

The IOM is motor cycle utopia, but... I think it's days are drawing close... sad... just like me saying in another post, I would now accept a car with GPS speed limiting!

But life changes... not always for the best?

Quickbeam 09:57 31 May 2007
  donki 11:40 31 May 2007

Im a from over the water and we have the North West 200, same thing applys here. There was talk of speed restrictions and did put in shacanes (prob not spelt rite) to reduce the speed on some of the straight. This is a great spectator sport and the riders knoew exactly the dangers they face and is partly why they they continue doing it. An example is the late great Joey Dunlop who had a dremendus carrier, some say went on past his best, and he lost his life to the sport.

Quickbeam 08:55 02 Jun 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?