One giant bin for everyone.

robgf 11:54 10 Jan 2009

click here

Wouldn't have to worry about having lots of wheelie bins (we have three) outside every house.
I just hope they don't site the giant bin outside my house!

jack 11:59 10 Jan 2009

But the thought of having to walk down the street with you bulging,splitting bin bags, is not a thought to welcome and what happens if as recently[extended public holida]y, the bin fills up and stuff is left stacked around it?
Hmm will the council monitor them and clear when needed.
Or will they come only on the designated day?

Needs watching

Pine Man 12:04 10 Jan 2009

I have seen this facility in parts of Spain where the big bins are emptied late at night, virtually every day. It seemed to work well and there were no piles of rubbish around the bins as they never appeared to get full.

I'll keep an open mind on this one for now.

Demora 12:14 10 Jan 2009

In Jerez, Spain they have these and are emptied alternate days. Was really clean in the streets and much better. Kids used to love running down the street with the garbage, then on to the cake shop before coming home.

D

dagnammit 12:33 10 Jan 2009

"I have seen this facility in parts of Spain where the big bins are emptied late at night, virtually every day. It seemed to work well and there were no piles of rubbish around the bins as they never appeared to get full."

>>virtually every day<<

They do it here it'll be every other week.

I've still got trippled bagged waste sitting from Xmas and New Year to get rid off. I've had to call bulky collections from the Council to come and get it. :(

dagnammit 12:36 10 Jan 2009

PS. Every other week will be also when it's replaced from being set on fire!

There is a charity clothing bin thing local and it has been replaced 3 times in recent memory due to being burnt out.

canarieslover 13:18 10 Jan 2009

Again no thought given to elderly and disabled, many of whom are houebound. I can't actually see anywhere in the street that I live in that they can put this sort of facility without it being right outside somoene's property. It will be even worse in some of the older big city areas where long terraces of houses are the order of the day.

interzone55 13:19 10 Jan 2009

Why is that people instantly see the bad side of everything.

If one big bin replaces 8 small bins then it will take less time to empty the bins, so one bin wagon will be able to service many more houses in a day.

That way the bins can be emptied more often.

the hick 13:53 10 Jan 2009

This might work in some places, with space for big bins. In France, these are used in rural areas, where space available at road junctions, etc. I cannot see it working in dense urban British towns though. Another reason for these, is that refuse trucks are now large, and have trouble negotiating some existing junctions and narrow roads. In addition, it seems that roads serving housing areas are getting narrower, with more on-street parking as well. Also, there is a trend for privately-maintained roads serving some housing areas, and I suspect the refuse collection firms may be concerned using some of these - insurance, etc.

Chegs ®™ 15:11 10 Jan 2009

The communal bin at the end of the street is used in spain.Where my mother lives,its emptied every night(the heat would make it unpleasant were they emptied during the day)

I would be quite happy were similar schemes introduced here,though UK society would need change.My mother had a hip replacement so was laid up,all her neighbours assisted her by ensuring her rubbish was deposited.When the weather turned nasty,the bins were regularly seen "floating" down the street so each bin was given a metal frame anchored into the road.

€dstowe 15:20 10 Jan 2009

Parts of Brighton (Hanover for example) have a communal bin service. Don't know what the emptying service is like but the residents seem to like it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?