Olympic Stadium

ulrich 18:08 24 Jan 2011

Another White Elephant for the dear old taxpayer.

Forum Editor 18:21 24 Jan 2011

Care to explain why?

mr simon 18:30 24 Jan 2011

Slightly short-sighted way of looking at it. Yes the tax payer will foot the majority of the bill but would you rather a bleak landscape with nothing but unoriginal houses just because they are cost effective?

Besides, should Spurs or West Ham be granted it after the games, costs of running it will be footed by the club.

ams4127 22:03 24 Jan 2011

The only thing which slightly worries me is transport. Cars are not allowed and it was that restriction which was a leading factor in the Dome's demise.

Perhaps, since you live in London, you would care to comment FE?

Strawballs 22:30 24 Jan 2011

I think West Ham should get it as they will keep the Stadium and running track and Spurs will demolish it and rebuild your clone football stadium.

Forum Editor 23:11 24 Jan 2011

the dear old taxpayer (and largely the dear old London taxpayer) has already paid for the stadium, so what happens after the Olympics is rather an academic issue as far as we're concerned.

It must be pretty obvious to anyone with even a rudimentary knowledge of sport that an athletics only stadium in East London would suffer the same fate as Crystal palace in South London - insufficient funding leads to eventual dilapidation.

West Ham may say that they'll keep the Stadium going with a running track on the pitch perimeter, but any football fan will tell you that in practice that cannot possibly work long term, regardless of what anyone might claim to the contrary.

To my way of thinking the Spurs plan is by far the more realistic in the long term, but there's the question of that promise made to the IOC by Tessa Jowell, who just couldn't stop herself promising there would be an athletics facility at the Stadium after the games.

Forum Editor 23:15 24 Jan 2011

This stadium is slightly easier to get to than the Dome, which was a complete disaster in terms of accessibility.

I still haven't visited the dome, a decade after it was built, and frankly I doubt I ever will. It has nothing to offer as far as I'm concerned.

morddwyd 07:57 25 Jan 2011

Haven't been to London for many years, but I would have thought the last thing they need is another football stadium.

interzone55 09:24 25 Jan 2011

As a Manchester lad I feel I can comment here, what with the biggest club in Manchester using the old Commonwealth Games stadium.

If West Ham get the stadium they intend to keep the track, this will mean fans will be further from the pitch, thus restricting the view of prancing millionaires.
Yes, this means we will have a lovely athletics stadium, but in all honesty, with the exception of the Olympics & Commonwealth games, how many times will an athletics event attract more than the 24,000 capacity of the improved Crystal Palace stadium proposed by Spurs.

I think more importantly for the "dear old taxpayer" Spurs plans will not involve any public money, whereas West Ham will need to borrow at least £40m for Newham Council, which is apparently the most deprived in the country based on the size of the grants received from Central Government over the last decade...

Bingalau 10:17 25 Jan 2011

alan14.
It may not exactly be the biggest football club in Manchester, but it is certainly the best and is supported by true Mancunians. Exactly the same situation exists in my city, I am therefore an Everton supporter. (Oh yes we need a new stadium too, send it up here).

interzone55 10:24 25 Jan 2011

Check the map, Old Trafford is not in Manchester, hence the "Welcome to Manchester" posters when Tevez swapped clubs...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?