The Oldies and their Drinking Habits

flycatcher1 22:43 22 Jun 2011

Is it really true that we oldies should reduce our alcohol intake in order to live longer?

Forum Editor 23:03 22 Jun 2011

Apparently it is

but if you've lived long enough to call yourself an 'oldie' you have probably earned the right to a degree of self determination when it comes to deciding how much or how little alcohol to consume.

All that the recent report does - for I assume that's what you're talking about - is offer advice. It's entirely up to you to decide whether you follow it or not.

lotvic 23:05 22 Jun 2011

I don't think so, it's just that it will seem longer without the alcohol.

Condom 23:32 22 Jun 2011

The way things are going in this country in 20 years we will probably have to sneak into a "speakeasy" or brew our own to get a drink as alcohol will be a banned substance. I'll be in my mid eighties by then so being locked up will at least get me free heating and three square meals a day which by then will probably be luxuries as well :-))

Forum Editor 23:41 22 Jun 2011

alcohol will be a banned substance.

Hell will freeze over before that happens.

Condom 23:43 22 Jun 2011

That's OK as I've now got used to having ice in my drinks:-))

ams4127 23:43 22 Jun 2011

I don't understand why we have to be lectured all the time about what is good, or bad, for us.

Surely to God, having reached the age of retirement, we can make our own decisions as to how to spend our remaining years.

If someone wants to "tie one on" whilst sitting watching TV then that is their right. With the dross on TV which passes for entertainment these days a few beers can only make it seem better.

zzzz999 06:47 23 Jun 2011

I listened to a radio interview with the CEO of SAGA regarding this story.

Her response (slightly paraphrased because of age and drink) was 'So what! Haven't we got better things to do with our money and researchers time. Pensioners have so few luxuries in life to enjoy, but food and drink is one of them, so the patronising authors of this report should butt out'

Well said missus

wee eddie 09:36 23 Jun 2011

I have yet to see a running battle between drunken Pensioners and the Police, or one of those Powered Shopping Trolleys filled with Bucky (Buckfast Tonic Wine) on a Friday Night.

If I wish to spend my meagre Pension on Ch√Ęteau Petrus, Armagnac and Port, I shall continue to do so!

flycatcher1 09:55 23 Jun 2011

Thanks for the cracking responses.

I am going to take the "Experts" advice and carry out a ten year service trial on the problem. I will continue to drink (about) five pints of beer, the odd glass of wine with a meal and a couple of glasses of champagne on special occasions.

After ten years, I will be ninety two, I will consider the results of the trial. If I am still here I will carry on as normal if not I hope that I died happy.

wee eddie 11:14 23 Jun 2011

"In Vino Veritas"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone