old threads

harps1h 11:55 02 Apr 2008

click here

there are threads lying out there which are years old and still attracting replies. I was wondering whether they are still relevant to todays computing and as such do they still need to be contributed to? one such example is above and another is click here thisa thread has run for over two years and has attracted 245 replies!! surely it is time for a bit of house keeping and those threads ticked as resolved should have a lock put on them after a period of 6-12 months

Totally-braindead 12:05 02 Apr 2008

Does it not depend on what the thread is about?

I do see your point but if the thread is about a buying a PC then 2 years later any advice given is mute because A the PCs people have commented on are probably no longer available as its been replaced and B say someone has a Vista problem and theres no solution and then someone discovers the fix and then reopens the thread to say what the solution is.

In the case of A then you're right theres no real point in adding to the thread but with B the person involved might have worked his/her way around the problem without providing the solution.

I assume you are not proposing someone from PCA going through all the threads manually and locking them but are proposing some kind of automatic lock?

There are a few other threads that have been on going and have not be solved and what about them? Do you think they should be locked too?

The ones I am thinking about is the MBS thread and the one about the Fujitsu Siemens laptops cracking up. Both threads occassionally get another post as people are still having the problems.

spuds 13:01 02 Apr 2008

Perhaps if you ignore them, they may go away completely ;o).

I have noticed that one particular (new!) forum member (perhaps two), resurrected a number of old threads recently, and I wondered why this had been done, and what was it intended to achieve!.

interzone55 14:10 02 Apr 2008

I could be that threads get auto-locked after x amount of time, then maybe FE could flag threads that can stay open, much less arduous, but would still require some kind of manual intervention.

Clapton is God 14:14 02 Apr 2008

We've already been here, haven't we? click here

Kev.Ifty 22:33 02 Apr 2008

Obviously these people are just searching for answers to their own PC related problems on Goggle etc. Their results throw up a similar problem on 'Our' site which they believe they can help with, so without hesitation, and without checking if they will look silly 'cos the post ain't current', they post an answer.

It seems to be a case of Altruism outweighing Egoism.

I think so anyway.. :-)

Totally-braindead 22:38 02 Apr 2008

I never though of that Kev.Ifty, thinking about it that is the most likely explanation and might also explain that dates in that they might post without noticing its years old.

Forum Editor 07:31 03 Apr 2008

Google has a lot to answer for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?