Old Spice

laurie53 20:05 16 Oct 2008

Just started to refill the peppermill and thought that the corns were smelling a bit frowsty.

Checked the pack and found we'd bought them in Krefeld in Germany.

The last time I was in Krefeld was in 1987, and I don't think I bought them on my last visit.

I know spices keep fairly well, but I think getting on for a quarter of a century is expecting a bit too much!

Bingalau 21:07 16 Oct 2008

I used to have an aftershave by that name "Old Spice" I wonder if it is still available?

Legolas 21:18 16 Oct 2008

It is I still use it sometimes

Stuartli 23:17 16 Oct 2008

I first used to use Old Spice some 50+ years ago...:-)

IIRC it was in a tapered white bottle; it was launched in 1937 by Shulton and is still on sale.

An alternative I often used was witch hazel, which was a lot cheaper.

TopCat® 23:42 16 Oct 2008

I seem to remember our old Henry Cooper advertising it years ago. I have to admit to using it myself about the same time. 'Splash it on all over' went one blurb, but it didn't do much for the ladies when I passed 'ponging' by! :o) TC.

Brumas 00:09 17 Oct 2008

I thought it was Brut he advertised?

Simsy 00:09 17 Oct 2008

The "splash it all over" ad was for "Brut", not "Old Spice".

Similar era though!

Regards,

Simsy

TopCat® 00:16 17 Oct 2008

Apologies - you are quite right. Sorry to create a stink!! :o) TC.

robgf 00:21 17 Oct 2008

Old Spice was "the mark of a man", whereas Brut was the mark of someone the cat had peed on, lol.
I still use Old Spice on occasions.

Advert: click here

Jak_1 00:32 17 Oct 2008

I remember seeing an intriguing x-ray some years ago! The print medium used was radio opaque! I shall not digress!

NewestRoyWidd1 00:54 17 Oct 2008

Oh what memories of the 70's and Brut these posts brought back!I never wore it myself(honest,guv)having favoured 'Old Spice Burley' or 'Tabac'.
The first nightclub manager I worked for then must have bathed in Brut,then used the aftershave and deodorant too!We always reckoned that the smell arrived a few minutes before he did.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?