OK, so where can we go?

pj123 16:51 16 Nov 2007

Our nearest star the Sun is now half way through its life.

It has 5 billion years to go, but I believe that a long time before that we won’t be here.

Around 3 billion years time the Sun will have expanded so much that it will have burnt out Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars.

So, people are saying we need to get to somewhere else. Where? The next nearest star to us Alpha Centauri B is 4 lightyears away. We are never going to get there, and even if we did are the conditions the same as we have here?

Let’s face it. In 3 billion years time there is going to be nobody here, which, I suppose, is where we all started from.

ventanas 16:59 16 Nov 2007

I think its a pretty fair bet that life in 3 billion years time will be nothing like exists today. Unless of course there is a limit to evolutionary perfection in shape and form. Upright stance, forward binocular vision etc... Perhaps these can't be improved on. But we'll never know.

Cymro. 17:07 16 Nov 2007

I accept your thinking pj123 but I don`t see it ending for the human race so easily.

We are on the whole a stubborn but optimistic lot and I think that technology will have moved ahead at least enough for us to make some sort of effort at saving our self. I do`t know how but science fiction may well become science fact one day.

Totally-braindead 17:11 16 Nov 2007

Butlins?

Diemmess 17:30 16 Nov 2007

I think Homo Sapiens will disappear long before things get too hot!

For all our brilliant technology we are here and live unwittingly on a very narrow edge.

One day a lump from outerspace could tip the balance of this pleasant planet into a prolonged winter, that is if a viral pandemic doesn't kill us first!

Be happy!

Blackhat 18:01 16 Nov 2007

I don’t believe there will be anybody to go anywhere when the time comes.

Evolution is the key. When Homo sapiens developed intelligence they began their slow down in evolution by adapting their environment rather than adapting to it. All other species on this planet have continued to evolve over the last half million years where as Homo sapiens have come to a virtual stop.

All those little nasties around us are getting harder and more resistant; take for example the US pesticide usage over the last hundred years or the resistant TB or AIDS. There will come a point when we will loose out to nature.

My hypothesis is that as soon as a species develops intelligence it is doomed to die out through lack of evolving long before its technology develops enough to allow it to travel through intergalactic space. (I don’t believe in UFO’s) This may have happened many times all over our galaxy.

I also think that the next dominant species on Earth will be the insects.

lotvic 18:12 16 Nov 2007

I have enough problems planning a day out

Stuartli 19:45 16 Nov 2007

My thoughts exactly..:-)

Would be interesting though to know just how good my computer system would be by then.....

tullie 20:21 16 Nov 2007

And heres me thinking ,all these years that Proxima Centauri was the next nearest star,which i thought was 4.2 light years?

Kouka 20:25 16 Nov 2007

I wouldn’t worry too much about the Sun. It’s a long way off from expanding and frying us. Now Yellowstone Park is a super volcano and the magma in the underground chamber has been pushing up the ground in the park steadily for many years. In the last few years it has been measured at a rise of 3inches per year. Scientists have determined that it erupts on a fairly regular cycle (in geological terms) of about 600,000 years. The last eruption was about 640,000 years ago.... hmmm. I have a feeling it might pop long before the Sun. Whilst it probably wont wipe out the whole of the human race I suspect that those that are left behind will be back in the stone ages and I think you computer StuartLi might well resemble an abacus. And Lotvic you might not have to wait so long to start worrying! Still I suppose waiting another few billion years for the Sun to explode is long enough to start again...if we can find another Bill Gates. But then again do we really want anonther Bill Gates?

Stuartli 23:29 16 Nov 2007

>>But then again do we really want anonther Bill Gates?>>

Why not? The benefits far, far outweigh any minor disadvantages.

>>I think you computer StuartLi might well resemble an abacus.>>

I actually meant what we would be using at that time in the future.....:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017