Oh Why Oh Why do we talk to Mumbai?

rawprawn 18:28 24 Jan 2008

I am fed up of trying to understand people from call centres in India who's command of English may be admirable, but who;s accent makes it almost impossible to understand.
I have today received a call from BT (India) regarding a dispute of £159 which they have agreed to refund. I could not understand what the man was saying, and when one has to answer yes or no to leading questions at the very least we should be able to understand the question. BT is not alone and this same problem lies with many Banks and other major organisation.
Comments please.

Forum Editor 18:40 24 Jan 2008

you expect. If you're unhappy with the situation why don't you complain to BT in the UK?

Lots of people complain about Mumbai call centres, but then lots don't. To be honest there's not much you can do about it - I think the call centres are here to stay, because they cost so much less to operate than a UK-based centre. That's why there are so many of them; many american and European companies use them.

lisa02 19:03 24 Jan 2008

It took me ten days to get a resolution from Dell in India. They where keen, infact, very keen to help but communications break down was the problem.

After 10 days, 5 phone calls and 2 wrong parts one technician took control of the PC and allowed to draw round the part on a diagram I needed. I got the right part the next day.... Now only if the first techie did that!

In hindsight, I was angry and frustrated at the time but we as consumers force companies to cut costs through out-sourcing by wanting everything on the cheap.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:24 24 Jan 2008

Rather strangely I have never had a problem understanding anyone from a call centre in the Far East.

G

Totally-braindead 19:35 24 Jan 2008

I'm afraid I have had problems understanding some of them. Some are really good some are not so good. The last one thinking about it was so bad I had to phone back to speak to someone else as he couldn't understand me and I couldn't understand him. And my accents not that bad, honestly.
Wouldn't have minded the phoning back thing but it wasn't a freephone and I had to wait again for the call to be answered so it cost me money.

STREETWORK 19:49 24 Jan 2008

You wanna try the Orange help line...

March Hare 19:51 24 Jan 2008

The last time I phoned around for motor insurance quotes I called one of the top UK insurance companies and spoke to a man with a very strong Indian accent. The Q & A session was so bad that I had to apologise to him and end the call.

I emailed the company and told them they may well have lost some business because of this. Never had a reply, so I won't deal with this company again.

laurie53 20:19 24 Jan 2008

Last time I had difficulty understanding a lady who was obviously from the sub continent we started chatting and it turns out she was a Brit, in Edinburgh, twenty miles away!

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:30 24 Jan 2008

I bet if it was someone from India, working on behalf of the Lotto, explaining to you in detail how to collect the £7m you have just won, you would all understand perfectly well.

G

g0nvs 20:34 24 Jan 2008

"Rather strangely I have never had a problem understanding anyone from a call centre in the Far East."

Then you havn't rang some of the call centers I have had the misfortune to call.

Many american & british companies are reverting back to home based call centers after receiving many complaints from dissatisfied customers, Powergen for one.

interzone55 20:38 24 Jan 2008

When I worked for one company customers regularly complained about the call centre operatives on our Indian call centre. No one would believe me when I said that the centre was in fact in Burnley.

Whilst we demand ever lower prices for goods, especially the super cheap or free ADSL connections, companies will have to operate their call centres in ever cheaper locations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites.

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?