Oh, there's no toilet roll?

dagnammit 09:34 11 Aug 2009

Ever rush to the loo and realise there's none there when it's too late? ;)

Well seems like an everyday experience for Cuba. click here

Quickbeam 09:43 11 Aug 2009

And you get a toiletry trivia quiz in the same link!

martjc 11:31 11 Aug 2009

...we used to tear up a newspaper page into small rectangles and hang it from a nail in the toilet wall, a la Steptoe & son. It's not a joke, it's the way things were.

Maybe the Cubans could do this.

sunnystaines 11:48 11 Aug 2009

in france seen a couple of places where you get the toilet paper just inside the entrance before you go to the cubilce, got caught out by this first time but not again.

JanetO 13:33 11 Aug 2009

My husband got caught short a few years ago in a public toilet. He found none in his cubicle, then had to waddle duck-like with his trousers round his ankles into the next one while being watched suspiciously by a man at the urinal.

jakimo 17:44 11 Aug 2009

During the last war,(WW2)it was common practise to have newspaper hanging on a nail behind the door of the loo at the bottom of the garden,and it used to be worth reading in those days,that was where a lot of kids first learnt to read

Stuartli 18:26 11 Aug 2009

Izal wasn't much better, if at all, than newspaper..

BRYNIT 18:31 11 Aug 2009

I remember the toilet at the bottom of the garden especially on dark winter nights. You left the kitchen light on just to see your way to the toilet hoping you didn't slip on the ice. When you opened the door you were glad to find some news paper and a match so you could light the paraffin lamp.

No indoor toilet or bathroom in a lot of houses 40 odd years ago.

Bingalau 18:31 11 Aug 2009

I remember them both very well, I was brought up in a slum area. I can't remember when I saw my first toilet roll, must have been well after the war, probably when I joined up. But as Stuartli says that Izal stuff was just as bad. Maybe even worse! People these days don't know how lucky or how soft they have become.

Mr Mistoffelees 18:53 11 Aug 2009

My grandparents used Izal. I think it was worse than newspaper.

egapup 19:11 11 Aug 2009

Dock leaves were popular when we were kids and out playing all day.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?