Odd Occurrence with DVD

€dstowe 12:13 19 Jul 2008

I tried to play a (rented) DVD last night. Put in the player which told me "No disc". I checked, it was there. I have another player. Put it in there, same message.

Put it in a DVD writer in a computer - same again. Checked in My Computer and, as far as the machine knew, there was no disc loaded.

I checked the disc for scratches etc (although the machines usually detect a disc, even if they can't play them) and noted there was a crack from the hub extending about 1 cm across the disc. I'm assuming this was the cause of the invisibility - has anyone seen this effect before?

John B 12:49 19 Jul 2008

which stores the disc's contents.

From click here

€dstowe 13:06 19 Jul 2008

Thanks for that info. Interesting article and does give an explanation. I think the crack did extend into the lead-in area - I can't check as I've sent it back.

GRIDD 16:27 19 Jul 2008

That damage comes from people not releasing it from the case correctly. I once rented a PSone game (all those years ago) and left it in a friend's house... any hoo the muppet couldn't figure out how to depress the button to get the disc out and done what you describe with the crack. He then tried playing it and the crack extended right across one side of the disk. Luckily the rentals place never charged me even though I said I'd pay or rather he would.

sunny staines 17:46 19 Jul 2008

try reboot of pc, had this occasionally with xp.

TopCat® 18:53 19 Jul 2008

because exactly the same had happened to that disc. Grand child and friends were let loose on my PC playing my games and not one of them had the courage to own up to it. :o))

The disc was fine when last put it back in its case and I only discovered the crack when the game wouldn't run. It is at times like these that being able to copy the original disc would have saved the day and me the £12! :o) TC.

Forum Editor 19:10 19 Jul 2008

that have been cracked like this because people lever them out of the case instead of depressing the central button to release the DVD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires