Obituary

Kaacee 15:31 13 Feb 2009

Subject: An Obituary

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as: knowing when to come in out of the rain; why the early bird gets the worm; life isn't always fair; and maybe it was my fault. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition. Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

He declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an Aspirin to a student, but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion. Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home without the burglar suing you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, spilled a little in her lap and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents Truth and Trust, by his wife Discretion, his daughter Responsibility, and his son Reason. He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers: I Know My Rights; I Want It Now; Someone Else Is To Blame; and I'm A Victim.
Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Say's it all really

Clapton is God 15:38 13 Feb 2009

"Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend"

I think you're at least 30-odd years late with this obituary.

Marko797 15:56 13 Feb 2009

some may have seen this, but I've not seen that before.

Forum Editor 16:32 13 Feb 2009

This has been doing the rounds for many years - I'm surprised that there's anyone who hasn't seen it before.

It's all a bit contrived and I hope noboody does pass it on - it will simply add to the tidal waves of such stuff that washes around the internet day after day.

TopCat® 18:28 13 Feb 2009

That eulogy may have been around for years but in my opinion parts of society is sadly lacking in common sense these days. It does no good to simply sweep it under the carpet either. TC.

Kaacee 20:22 13 Feb 2009

I at no time indicated it was new, I just thought that maybe,just maybe, it might be a reminder of times gone by before society turned into the mess we have today.

I have no intention of passing this on in the sense that FM and FE have indicated.

For what its worth, I had not seen it before, pardon me for posting something that I thought others may find of interest.

puma22 20:57 13 Feb 2009

It might be old and yes we have all seen this before, but it might be worth forwarding the first paragraph to the banksters and polichy makers

Cara2 21:30 13 Feb 2009

I had not seen it either. Thanks Gudlucker.

Cara

Covergirl 22:13 13 Feb 2009

. . . and thought it really good. I fancied passing it on to a few close contacts but might not bother now.

I usually receive inapropriate road signs, saggy breasted women, smutty cartoons and hoax warnings adorned with many-a-nested email address.

How could some of those statements been made "30-odd" years ago CiG ?

Kaacee 11:15 14 Feb 2009

You are welcome Cara2 and Covergirl.

Feel free to pass it on, FE's "rules" only apply in this forum not in the big wide world. I think !!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?