Obama's inauguration on BBC

TonyV 19:54 20 Jan 2009

Did any one watch the ceremony on BBC this afternoon? What an awful presentation by the Beeb. The link man Huw Edwards, was unbelievably bad. He didn't seem to know what to say or where to look when he was saying it. Other commentators were cutting in on what was going on on the dais. I was very surprised, because the BBC are usually extremely good at covering these sort of things, but this was abysmal. Bring back Dimblebee.

I must say, the Inaugural Speech was something to behold.

TonyV

peter99co 20:03 20 Jan 2009

The Inaugural Speech was something to behold.

I did not pay much attention to what the BBC was doing. It was History in the Making. We must see how the first 100 days goes. There is a lot to do and I wish him a lot of luck. He may need a second term to clear up the mess he has inherited.

laurie53 20:12 20 Jan 2009

If there's one thing I'm thankful for, it's that I don't have anything to do with Presidential security in the US.

It must be literally a living nightmare. Not only are there the obvious foreign threats to deal with, but I would think that racists still number in the tens of thousands over there.

TonyV 20:17 20 Jan 2009

The presentation was bad from the very beginning before there was any comment made about the lateness. Huw Edwards was really struggling to see what he was supposed to be saying. And wasn't even looking at people he was questioning!
Yes, I agree, Obama did make a pigs ear of his oath, but I felt what he said, overall, struck a very clear note with the audience.

TonyV

Covergirl 20:46 20 Jan 2009

In my opinion anyway.

interzone55 20:48 20 Jan 2009

Very true.

The budget for candidate protect during the election campaign was $110m. God alone knows what it cost to lock Washington down today...

IClaudio 21:44 20 Jan 2009

I only saw the last few minutes... "(To The Muslim World...) we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist" was brilliant. And "know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy" was to the point, but probably not noted.

The Reverend Joseph Lowery who gave the Benediction was hilarious at the end, when he said "those who do justice and love mercy, say Amen and Amen..."

Covergirl, when you next perform in front of 1.8 million people in the flesh and countless millions watching on TV, I'll be watching you V-E-R-Y carefully :)

Aretha (she's, what 70-something?) was great and if not still the Queen of Soul, at least the Dowager...

Stuartli 21:54 20 Jan 2009

I watched most of it on Sky News in HD on my computer - excellent commentaries although the actual coverage was basically the same.

Sad to learn that Senator Ted Kennedy and another Senator were both taken ill during the inauguration dinner; seems that both are making good progress.

Forum Editor 23:43 20 Jan 2009

that Obama didn't write the speech - that was done by professional and highly experienced speech writers - although he would have been involved.

I didn't think it was particularly memorable.

Forum Editor 23:45 20 Jan 2009

The official figure for the cost of securing the inauguration event today was $75 million. I'm quite sure that Americans feel it was worth every cent of that.

anskyber 00:03 21 Jan 2009

how he deals with things and his pragmatism.

I think he struck the right note of vision with realism. The truth is he follows the most dismal example of an American President even though I am sure Bush decided according to his morals and convictions.

America faces a dilemma of direction.

They need to continue with a key role of world leaders but need to redefine themselves. No more is it about America telling the world what to do and brewing up resentment it's more about how to show the world respect by wise leadership and I think Obama has that as his cause. I hope so.

The event was a stage for him to show his approach and he did so. There will be a new world order, America will be stronger as leaders but weaker in terms of being the "head boy" as the new nations assert their influence.

It's the way of things.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?