Number Plates

interzone55 15:43 03 Mar 2007

One of the things that annoys me most is so-called Vanity Plates, especially when the owner either has the characters incorrectly spaced, or in a non standard font, both of these actions are illegal, and strictly speaking should lead to an MOT failure, but no-body does anything about it, so I've come up with an idea.

On many motorways, especially where there's roadworks there are nice yellow cameras at intervals along the carriageway. These are average speed cameras, and use Automatic Number Plate Recognition to log each car as it passes each camera, and can then work out their average speed.

Now it wouldn't be that difficult to log each car with a non-standard number plate as it passed and pop a fixed penalty in the post would it. This would have the double benefit of ridding our roads of number plates like MN5 5EXY and X 130OBS and adding a few extra pounds to Gordos war chest.

Jackcoms 15:50 03 Mar 2007

A good idea.

However, I just work on the assumption that anybody who uses vanity plates should actually have plates which read I M A PRAT

bremner 15:52 03 Mar 2007

So long as they can be read who cares

Jackcoms 16:03 03 Mar 2007

"So long as they can be read who cares"

The police should care, MOT testers should care and people taking their driving test should care - because a lot of these plates CAN'T be easily read at the prescribed test distance

interzone55 16:06 03 Mar 2007

My point is that there is a legal standard for number plates that is not being enforced.
What is the point of having a law if nobody does anything about it.

The law states that,
* You must not alter, rearrange or misrepresent the letters or numbers
* Characters must not be moved from one group to the other (e.g. A242 ABC must not be displayed as A242A BC).

Offences may result in any or all of the following:
* A fine of up to £1,000
* The registration mark may be WITHDRAWN
* The vehicle may FAIL the MOT test

For full details of number rules see click here

bremner 16:08 03 Mar 2007

Did you miss the obvious

"So long as they can be read"

This law is a typical example of over regulation. The police have far more important things to do than stop and report drivers for having too big a space or the wrong font on a number plate.

interzone55 16:12 03 Mar 2007

sorry mate, you're dead wrong. If we didn't have regulations about number plate design there would be nothing stopping someone using yellow characters on a yellow background.

Number plates have to be easy to read, not so that cameras can cop you driving at 31 in a 30 zone, but so that police officers in a pursuit can read the plate of a fast moving car.

Are you telling me that a plate with an italic font and incorrect spacing can be read from 75 feet?

My guess is that the SPECS speed cameras are not acutally able to read the number plates with fancy fonts.

namtas 16:16 03 Mar 2007

I suppose that their is nothing to prevent the owner changing the plate for the MOT to make it legal.

interzone55 16:20 03 Mar 2007

ANPR cameras are able read read most fonts, although an italic font with a reflective backgroud could give it some trouble.

I think if a number plate is unreadable the image is sent for manual reading, as it's unlikely that the police would just choose to ignore speeders who have dodgy plates.

namtas
Do people actually swap their plates just to pass their MOT, or do garages just ignore them. I feel it's the latter. If taxis in my area are anything to go by, many garages also ignore bodywork, brakes, lights...

bremner 16:21 03 Mar 2007

I keep repeating my original comment

So long as they can be read!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?