Nuclear Fusion Progress

Mr Mistoffelees 10:11 29 Jan 2010

Electricity generation powered by nuclear fusion comes a step closer to reality.

From BBC News: click here

morddwyd 10:16 29 Jan 2010

While one can't deny that it is progress, if it's a step it's a pretty hesitant one.

Though I'm no scientist I would not say a major hurdle had been swept away, rather that the way forward is a little clearer

peter99co 12:24 29 Jan 2010

"I can't overstate how dramatic a step that is," he told BBC News. "Many people a year ago were saying the project would be dead by now."

Along the way, the experiments smashed the record for the highest energy from a laser - by a factor of 20.

Seem pretty big steps to me.

shellship 16:39 29 Jan 2010

Does this mean we can halt the expansion of those costly wind farms that only operate when the wind is blowing?

johndrew 17:10 29 Jan 2010

Given the problems faced producing a field to contain the plasma any step forward is likely to be small and, until fully validated, treated with some trepidation.

This looks a reasonable jump in knowledge and ability which may bring truly clean power a bit nearer.

john bunyan 17:19 29 Jan 2010

Hopefully their experiments will come to fruition quicker than the UK efforts See Here:
click here

Kevscar1 17:58 29 Jan 2010

shellship
If they built a windfarm inside the House of Commons there would be enough wind and hot air to power the whole coumtry.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:29 29 Jan 2010

"If they built a windfarm inside the House of Commons there would be enough wind and hot air to power the whole coumtry."

When they are all there and awake!

Mr Mistoffelees 19:36 29 Jan 2010

I think it is fair to say that those early experiments paved the way for the research happening now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017