Now this'll set the cat amonst the pigeons

Kevscar1 13:20 08 Sep 2013
  lotvic 13:57 08 Sep 2013

Pity there is no detailed report, would like to have read it for more details. I wonder how they have categorised the 'certain offences'. Will have to wait until it is published to find out. Intriguing.

Mr Mistoffelees 14:15 08 Sep 2013

In the, hopefully extremely unlikely, event this bill gets passed and enters the statute book, I will be ashamed to call myself an Englishman.

bremner 14:15 08 Sep 2013

Total waste of time - absolutely no chance of getting through Commons let alone Lords.

fourm member 15:04 08 Sep 2013

Mr Hollowbrain (sorry, Hollobone) puts forward a lot of daft bills that have no chance of ever being debated much less becoming law.

Here's a few of his.

There has to be something very wrong with our democracy when an idiot like this gets elected,

Algerian peter ™ 15:19 08 Sep 2013

fourm member

Have you ever thought about standing?

Algerian peter ™ 15:28 08 Sep 2013

That does not look right.

I meant you are obviously an intelligent man and can project a good argument. You also appear to have a lot more common sense than a lot of British MP's.

Ever thought about standing?

Forum Editor 16:26 08 Sep 2013

"Now this'll set the cat amonst the pigeons"

No, it won't.

fourm member 17:26 08 Sep 2013

Algerian peter

I'll take that question seriously.

I wouldn't consider standing for parliament because, as I said, our system is such that idiots can get elected just by standing for a party that is in favour in the constituency concerned.

Hollobone is what you might call a classic conservative Conservative. He believes in conscription, wants the UK out of the EU, thinks the burqa should be banned and is a committed Baptist.

Oh, and he got divorced earlier this year.

The only reason he gets any attention is that parliamentary procedure includes this farce of giving the appearance that individual members can get laws passed. The time spent going through the motions with this bill is wasted and that means time is wasted.

(Some important laws do emerge from back-benchers but, once the ballot has taken place, the rest don't have a hope. That's why I say it's a waste of time and money dealing with them.)

spuds 01:32 09 Sep 2013

Perhaps water testing time, and without wanting, in getting into an argument. I watch on most days the BBC Parliament programme on Freeview, and some very interesting facts and figures can be gained from watching this programme. Items that are mostly not brought to the public's attention through normal every day means, possibly due to "whose interested in politics anyway" attitude by most?.

About a month or so ago, in one of the usual interviews, there was a person (I forget their name and title) who deals with presenting articles to Parliament, especially requests from back-benchers. It would appear by this persons discussions, that most, if not all back-bencher requests are 'urged' by their own party or from 'higher level', as a way to introduce something, without drawing attention to the actual originator or originators?.

So perhaps its a wise move to blame someone else for being 'the' idiot, than directing that statement to the actual originator, wanting to test the public's or commercial markets response?.

"Wasn't me guv", or alternatively "what a brilliant idea", depending on the depth of the water?.

Forum Editor 07:41 09 Sep 2013

spuds

The day after capital punishment is reintroduced in this country you can film me dancing naked in Trafalgar square.

I'm astonished that there's still anyone who actually believes that there's the faintest chance of us ever going back to having the death penalty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires