From now on, it's no censorship, or no Google

spikeychris 18:53 13 Jan 2010

"s easy to be cynical about Google's feisty tone. After all, the company has been willing to trim search results in China for three years to placate Beijing. And despite its "don't be evil" corporate mantra, Google's shareholders have gone along with voluntary censorship. It seems the final straw wasn't principle, but property - possibly the theft of the algorithms Google uses to generate its search results."

There's a chance I may soon be ticking 'resolved'

click here

click here

spikeychris 19:01 13 Jan 2010
  Forum Editor 19:09 13 Jan 2010

that the reason for its concern is that the gmail accounts of some Chinese human rights activists were hacked an a very sophisticated manner.

Although Google hasn't said as much it obviously believes that the hacking was done by the Chinese government.

Google is a commercial concern, and like all commercial concerns it must ultimately listen to the wishes of its users and shareholders. I predict that we'll see Google in China in the long term, although there may be some token sword rattling for political purposes.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:35 13 Jan 2010

Money talks and irrespective of Google's whines, they will be using one of the world's biggest markets for revenue especially as China is now officially the World's largest exporter.

G

morddwyd 20:00 13 Jan 2010

But they haven't got much of the market in China, only thirty odd per cent, so it might be too much of a loss for them.

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind the article's claim that Google is set to make money by withdrawing its service from China.

If I've read it right, it's suggesting that more people in the West will use Google due to Google's 'ethical' decision. Now I believe that is probably correct, but I highly doubt that the number of people that have boycotted Google for censoring its results in China will be anywhere close to the number of Chinese people in China actually using Google. I.e. they will gain several thousand more users in the West, but loose several million other users from China!

Or perhaps I'm missing something?

Seth Haniel 08:24 14 Jan 2010

"China's internet is open and the Chinese government encourages development of the internet."

click here

morddwyd 08:25 14 Jan 2010

Doesn't matter how many users they gain or lose, either inside or outside China.

Like any other free internet service, it's the advertisers who will have the final say, reflected in the bottom line.

Yes, but more users = more people seeing advertisments = more revenue from advertisers...

morddwyd 10:47 15 Jan 2010

Advertisers don't want people just seeing their adverts.

They want them to respond.

If one person out of ten million users buys as a result of an advert ant advertising manager might well believe that the money would be better expended elsewhere.

I'm not arguing the point that the number of users might influence the decision, simply that if advertisers decide to pull out popularity won't matter.

No matter how many people flock to see Tiger Woods if he ever returns to golf, the fact remains that he has lost a major slice of income, just from advertisers' decisions.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:56 15 Jan 2010

China is rapidly becoming the world's largest power in production, technology and exports. It has already overtaken the USA as the world's largest exporter and uses vast quantities of metals, sometimes as much as 99% of the world's supply of various raw metals. Anyone ignoring a market of 1.3 - 1.4 billion people would be committing commercial suicide.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?