Now it's EMA protests

carver 08:29 13 Dec 2010

Well it looks as though this is going to be a regular occurrence click here

I just cannot understand why they are cutting this, nearly every body has said how well it is working, children who before were missing lessons being late, now turn up on time and have nearly a 100% attendance record.

It can't be to save money, because these same children who in the past caused trouble on the streets while missing school will now be back because there is no incentive to go.

My local school has a couple of twins very bright kids, they were forever in trouble in the village and at school until they realised that they could get £30 a week just for going to school, the change has been phenomenal in them, you now have two children who by the teachers verdict will achieve A's in every thing.

I nor the teachers can say it is the EMA that is the reason for the change but they do think it's a contributory factor.

Quickbeam 09:14 13 Dec 2010

Maybe we're experiencing the start of a discontented winter, it happens every 30 years or so.

carver 09:17 13 Dec 2010

Is that something to do with Global warming?

Quickbeam 09:19 13 Dec 2010

Only if there's a hot air connection...

Grey Goo 09:29 13 Dec 2010

What's happening is after years of coddling and having to be told what or how to do everything and being brainwashed into the state of "If you think for yourself you are a misfit",reality is emerging and Society and finding it difficult to stand on their own feet. The Nation is getting the kick up the arse it needs.

peter99co 12:01 13 Dec 2010

It will enable anyone to reach an informed view.

Most of those who protest do not want an informed view. They just follow the leaders who tell them it's a good idea to demonstrate.

Most of the media only say the grant is to stop.

carver 14:28 13 Dec 2010

Get your facts correct before posting, it's not only students it's the tutors who are doing most of the shouting about this loss of EMA.

They are the ones who are saying it gives teenagers the incentive to study and complete course work, they are also the ones who are saying that EMA is their stick to control students in the classroom, because they can control who gets it and if a student is disruptive they can withhold it from that student.

All you have done is post a load of Government claptrap to base your posting on.

carver 16:55 13 Dec 2010

"they get paid for teaching these students so their opinions are completely impartial."

Thank you, you have got some thing right about this posting, well done, keep up the good work.

I went to college in 2004, but I was not entitled to EMA because my household income was in excess of £30,000 / year. Many of my friends were though, and at the time I was extremely annoyed that they were getting this 'free' money that they used to go out and drink on the weekend while I got nothing, yet they did no more than me. It made me get a job though, and within one month of starting college I was working around 16 hours every weekend which now when I look back, I am very glad that I did. The experience I gained from this is almost as important as what I learned at college and university, and I think it has put me in a much better position now as a graduate than someone who comes out of college / university with no real work experience whatsoever.

I therefore don't think EMA is necessary for the majority of students. Those who can live at home still with their parents don't really have any extra living costs to contend with - only transport and food in the majority of cases. It would then also encourage more students to go out and get a part time job which doesn't do them any harm! There will of course be a very small number of people who will genuinely need financial help, but these should be dealt with on an individual basis.

The point of EMA is not to be used as a weapon by tutors to make the students behave properly. If someone can't make the effort to attend college and behave properly, should they really be there in the first place?

spuds 19:07 13 Dec 2010

Whats this, paying £30 to attend education. In my days there was a person called the Board Man who made sure that everyone eligible attended school.

Roll call in the morning, come rain, shine or snow, and if the tick wasn't against your name, you were in trouble, and that included your parent or guardian.

babybell 19:49 13 Dec 2010

My partner works in a 6th form college and the common complain she hears from teaches is the disruptiveness from EMA students, most of whom are not interested in furthering their education, but who do like the £30 every week.

It seems quite a few attend lessons every day, and get their tick in the register to enable them to get the money, but as they dont care about the lesson, they end up just disrupting the other students who wish to learn.

The problem is the money is not dependent on results, merely attendance, and it appears some see it as an easier option than going on the dole.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?