Nothing Lasts

morddwyd 20:57 08 Nov 2011

When we got married in 1961 we were given a nice canteen of silver plated cutlery, but needed some everyday "common or garden" stuff, so we nipped down to Woolworths and bought half a dozen knives.

They cost 4d each, 2/- (that's 10p in today's money).

Now the damned handle has come off one of them.

Do you think it's any good getting on to the receivers as a belated creditor?

Aitchbee 21:20 08 Nov 2011

My Mum, won, wooden handled knives (6) at the bingo, in Saltcoats, circa, 1966, and they are still on pristine condition.

Aitchbee 21:27 08 Nov 2011

...I forgot to add, I still use them today.The wooden handles are a joy.

Forum Editor 23:43 08 Nov 2011

In my office I have a gold capped Parker 51 fountain pen that belonged to my father.After his death I had it cleaned up and serviced,and was told it was made in 1948. I use it regularly, and have no reason to think it won't go on for many years yet. It's the best pen I've ever used.

wiz-king 08:37 09 Nov 2011

I suggest you look here for a selection, you'll be spoilt for choice.

Or use superglue!

Quickbeam 09:11 09 Nov 2011

I still use a silver plate set of cutlery daily that my parents got as a wedding present in 1948. A lot of the plate has worn through, especially the spoons where you pull your lips across them in use, the edges of the fork prongs have worn away with touching plates over the years so that they are a rounded profile instead of square, but the knives, having hard stainless blades, have hardly any wear on them although the bone handles are well age worn.

I've never replaced them when refitting the kitchen over the years, strange how we cling onto some things that remind us of an age gone by.

rdave13 09:23 09 Nov 2011

You could always ask Woolies for help in this matter. ;)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:23 09 Nov 2011

silver cutlery bought in 61

surely you deserve gold now :0)

Bapou 11:27 09 Nov 2011

1948, Mum brought me back one of those new fangled ball point pens from a holiday in Blackpool. It cost her £1.1s, a fair old amount of money in those days.

I still have the pen but can I hell find a refill for it.

Aitchbee 20:05 10 Nov 2011

I've got 'The Children's Encyclopedia' by Arthur Mee, printed in 1955, and they, ( Ten Volumes,7340 pages) ...still smell brand new.My Mum and Dad bought them, at the time, but I acquired a better set for a tenner in a charity shop, recently.

Aitchbee 20:34 10 Nov 2011

I have noticed there has been 'big time' road resurfacing works on some of the major roads in the south-side of Glasgow, that take the bulk of city bound traffic.(and outwards).How long should that, (the road surface) last?.

I have also been impressed by the bus-stop improvements, but vandalism is still rife in Glasgow, and wanton destruction of bus shelters still continue.

....as morddwyd, suggests...nothing lasts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?