Not before time

€dstowe 16:16 29 Sep 2008

Let's have a few more:

Lost-data official to be charged

click here

johndrew 16:31 29 Sep 2008

I agree.

It is obvious the threat of a penalty means little unless it is seen to be applied to those who breach rules. Perhaps this could be applied across the board to those who commit other offences, not just in contravention of the Official Secrets Act.

Forum Editor 16:34 29 Sep 2008

where a Crown servant or government contractor has in his/her possession or under his/her control any document which it would be an offence under the Act for him/her to disclose, and he/she fails to take such care to prevent the unauthorised disclosure of the document, he/she is guilty of an offence.

The maximum penalty for a breach of the act is two years in prison, but this man obviously won't get anything like that sentence. It will depend on the circumstances, but I would be very surprised if there's a custodial sentence at all.

Si_L 16:35 29 Sep 2008

If I had a pound for every lost data thread...

laurie53 20:47 29 Sep 2008

The official may be charged, but will any of the supervisors and managers who set up an insecure system, and then failed to monitor it?

This is just a sacrificial goat so that the government can say they are doing something about it.

johndrew 09:51 30 Sep 2008

You are quite possibly correct in what you say. However, the individual concerned was in contravention of more than one rule about the handling and transport of classified material, also negligent in that it was left on the train.

In my opinion there should be more stringent control at higher levels of Government as this is where more sensitive information is present. Failing to penalise those who neglect their responsibilities should be more the norm.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?