Not so Automated responses.

jack 17:50 04 May 2008

A couple of months ago I help a neighbour set up an Internet account.
He chose to go Tiscali [Ah well] and having got used to it decided to go Broad Band
As I understand it he has a choice of a USB or a NET connexion box - as the mine did not have a Net card he selected USB.
He got the Net card.
So on his behalf I mailed Tiscali telling them the connection box did not suit.
In the mail I carefully explain that I was writing on their clients behalf
About 6 weeks later they even respond to me with a standard letter-
I forwarded it to my friend and wrote back To Tiscali telling them their error
I received back what I assumed to an automated reply addressing him but sent to me.
So I sent it on and responded back not to reply to my address
Are you getting all this ?

Now I can accept that automated replies can go this way- but today I got a an E-mail to my address but addressing themselves to my friend saying - 'We cannot find any reference to your[his] account.

This appears to be the work of a real live person.

Yet all the detail in the letters is there in the ever growing lists of mails back and forth.
So this time as the have asked for the detail they say they do not have- but is there in the correspondence. I copy and pasted it in the response line with the request they do not respond to my address for one of their customers.
You may have discovered I am not a Tiscali customer - Thank goodness

So watch this space

Stuartli 18:06 04 May 2008

No wonder Tiscali staff appear to be confused.

jack 19:26 04 May 2008

When I read my post back - after I posted it-
I quite agree- it must have been those scones and Devon Clotted cream for afternoon tea - sigh ;-}

jack 08:13 05 May 2008

Over a bank holiday- I received a response from a real live people at Tiscali
Expressing apologies for the error and confusion so caused
At last - one more idiot mail will cease to litter my in box

I hope

Forum Editor 10:09 05 May 2008

was primarily caused by you. You decided to write to Tiscali on someone else's behalf - why, I cannot imagine - and this started the chain of events you described.

Like Stuartli, I'm not surprised the Tiscali system was confused.

spuds 12:47 05 May 2008

You are not alone within the environment of being titled Confused, it happens to us all at times ;o).

Last year I had cause for contacting Tiscali regarding special offers that they kept informing me about. Deciding to take up one of their special offers, I was informed that they were not available in my area. Further confusions in the meantime. Writing to Tiscali, I was informed that "I had not understood" the offers being made, and I was "perhaps confused". The interesting point, is that Tiscali had made the offers to me originally, via emails (printed-out) and telephone cold calls, all because I was a long standing loyal customer.

Perhaps worth a further mention, I have had a number of problems with Tiscali since late 2007, when they took over my complete telephone and internet account, and getting rather fed up with non-responses in resolving issues, I sent an email direct to Mary Turner (CEO Tiscali UK). Got a telephone response on Friday evening for me to contact them on a given special contact number, I did, only to find that I had to leave a recorded message because it appears that the person dealing with the issue, had gone away over the weekend and Bank holiday. See what tomorrow brings I suppose, a round of musical chairs perhaps!.

Stuartli 15:15 05 May 2008

Tiscali used to tell me at one time when I was with the ISP that I couldn't get a 2MB broadband service.

Not even when I pointed out I was already receiving a 2MB service from the company and had been for some time, did that fact manage to penetrate the brain area of at least one of its engineers....:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?