Not really a problem but the BBC is my home page

Bingalau 21:07 27 Aug 2008

and I have changed it to a local setting a few times. But this has to be done every time I log on. Is there any way of keeping the local setting alive without having to reset it every time? I know our FE uses the BBC site as his home page as do various other forum members, so does anyone know of a way of doing this?

pchelper001 21:19 27 Aug 2008

The BBC use a cookie system to remember your location settings. Do you set your web browser to delete these when you close it? If so, then the BBC website has nothing to remember!

Kev.Ifty 21:40 27 Aug 2008

Are you a Crap Cleanerer lol

Options - Cookies, click on the cookie you wish NOT to be removed! Then add it by clicking on the arrow for the 'Cookies to Keep' list.

Forum Editor 22:32 27 Aug 2008

but if you want to set any localised form of homepage you have to prevent the BBC cookie from being deleted, as the others have pointed out.

Bingalau 23:09 27 Aug 2008

Thanks to everybody for pointing out the cure...

ened 06:44 28 Aug 2008

I use this click here

To set it up I just find the page and make it my home page.

With or without cookies why should it revert to anything else?

crosstrainer 06:48 28 Aug 2008

Sites like the BBC require a cookie (small text file) to remain on your HDD in order to identify your PC.

Programmes such as ccleaner will delete this file every time you run it unless you specify otherwise.

Your home page will then revert to it's previous incarnation, or about blank.

laurie53 08:10 28 Aug 2008

I regularly have to reset the BBC home page, and I have cookies enabled.

I only ever delete individual cookies, and never from the BBC.

This minor glitch only happens with the BBC website.

ened 08:39 28 Aug 2008

Thanks

You have explained why my Father kept losing his Homepage.

After all this time I have come to the conclusion that many of his problems have stemmed from his use of CCleaner.

crosstrainer 08:41 28 Aug 2008

He can avoid ccleaner (which is an excellent utility) deleting cookies by unticking the cookies entry in the cleaner page.

This will retain his home page settings, and still remove the other unwanted junk files.

From time to time, it's a good idea to clear them out, then untick the box again.

ened 11:29 28 Aug 2008

Just my personal opinion but I hate CCleaner and can see no purpose that it serves.

I had not realised he was using it until I tried it in desperation and it totally messed up my machine.

All (or many of) the times he called me with a problem I believe can now be traced back to his use of that utility.

Of course when I used to ask him what he had done prior to the problem I got the usual answer: "Nothing"!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone