Not reading threads properly

watchful 08:21 23 Oct 2005

When browsing some of the interesting and informative threads on here, particularly in the helproom, I'm finding that more and more users are obviously not reading the posts from the beginning.

Constantly I see another question posted as a reply when the poster has already explained this at the beginning.

It seems that a minority of members are coming into a thread and only reading the most recently posted comments, otherwise they would not ask such daft questions.

Many threads get the correct reply in the first two or three posts but some people carry on regardless with unnecessary remarks.

If I have been guilty of this myself in the past, I apologize.

CurlyWhirly 10:06 23 Oct 2005

I now think I know what thread you are referring to namely the 'Death Threat' thread and I agree it is easy to reply to a thread *without* reading it properly and I should know as I have done this loads of times on various forums.

After seeing this thread I will try even harder to read the thread *thoroughly* before replying to threads in future. ;0)

jack 14:35 23 Oct 2005

Hands up I am a guilty person occasionally,and later when coming back realize I have mad a chump of myself -again - but also - and a current thread[was death threat?] whereby several 'posters' offered[seemingly -I did not check them] the same links, a little spat went on.
But this often happens when a number of us are reading and writing simultaiously and several posts will be almost identical.
It all adds to the thread composers confirmation that a given solution could be the correct one - perhaps maybe.

ade.h 14:37 23 Oct 2005

I tend to take a cautius approach if the thread is a bit wordy; if I'm a bit short on time and I can't read and digest everything that has been said, I tend to avoid posting.

I've sometimes been on the receiving end of what you describe; ask a question, having to give a fair bit of detail to explain what the heck I'm on about admittedly! and then I get a fairly useless and/or non-commital answer. Partly my fault at times if I haven't explained it clearly, I admit.

Most of the answers that I get are quite the opposite though; very considered and helpful indeed. Which is particularly impressive, I think, whenever the question is quite technical and/or obscure and people who know more than me about a particualr subject have handled it admirably.

ade.h 14:41 23 Oct 2005

Jack's right there; if we all type the same thing within seconds of each other, we're probably not all barking up the wrong tree.

Dan the Doctus 15:34 23 Oct 2005

I think investing in chickens would be your best bet.

Forum Editor 16:03 23 Oct 2005

and I'm sometimes guilty of it myself. I'm in a rush, and I scan a thread, rather than reading it properly. I try not to do it, but sometimes......

That's life, and in the main I think we all manage pretty well, considering how many threads are posted. I've made a personal resolution to try harder, only time will tell how successful I am.

Totally-braindead 18:31 23 Oct 2005

I don't use red threads at all.

watchful 18:31 23 Oct 2005

However did you know I've always wanted to keep chickens? :o)

Not too sure about it in the present climate though :o(

watchful 18:32 23 Oct 2005

Snap! That often happens as well.

Totally-braindead 18:33 23 Oct 2005

Sorry, couldn't resist a pathetic attempt at humour. I'm guilty of this as well, usually when the thread gets too long, I'll try not to do it in future but when the thread gets to say 50 or more answers it takes a while to read.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?