Not quite a Pit Bull Terrier

Curio 10:05 23 Jan 2007
  Stuartli 10:34 23 Jan 2007

Read the story in the Mail earlier today.

A case of common sense having flown out of the window.

spuds 12:32 23 Jan 2007

Jack Russell, Corgi's, Collies, Yorkies (to name a few) are all prone to 'nipping', this was bred into them, at the origin of the breeds that we know today. The 'nips' can be very painful, and usually leave evidential marking. I hope the victim as all the evidence available, as I can see this case costing a substantial amount of money and time, plus no doubt public outcry, which will make things much worse for all parties concerned.Personally, I think there is more to this case than what as been suggested, perhaps noisy young kids, yapping dog irritating a neighbour!.

Confab 12:40 23 Jan 2007

I can’t believe that some people think that a dog is more important than a human life. If a dog bites a human then its dangerous and unpredictable and it should be destroyed.

I can't believe this is happening," she said. "Lucy is a lovely dog and I would never have her round my kids if I thought she was dangerous.

Tell that to just one parent whose child has been bitten by a dog and see what reaction you get. Tell that to one parent who’s dog injured or killed their child and see what reaction you get.

The woman needs to grow up.

Kate B 12:55 23 Jan 2007

Dogs, whatever breed, that bite children are dangerous. What happens to them is the decision presumably of the authorities, but I'd be extremely unhappy if a dog that bit any of my small nieces were allowed anywhere near them or another child again.

spuds 13:09 23 Jan 2007

If a dog bites, then one strike and its out.

Perhaps these same views apply to Police and Security dog's. If it did, then you would have quite a lot of empty kennels, and high costs for a possible alternative.

"Lucy is a lovely dog.....". There are thousands/millions of owners thinking the same thing on a daily basis. Some people only have a dog,or a clawing cat as their only means of personal confidence,security and friendship.Some people are not fortunate to have a circle of perhaps well meaning friends around them.

Kate B 13:17 23 Jan 2007

Cats are a bit different - you can't train them in the same way that you can train dogs. But if my cat tended to claw, she'd be kept out of the way of visitors, particularly children.

Stuartli 13:39 23 Jan 2007

Unless I'm misreading your posting, 'On trial for her life' IS the Mail headline.

Actually I'm all for the Mail's agenda of "trying to make us think authority has gone mad and we need a right wing dictatorship to put things straight."

We've had several Labradors, an Alsation and, until just under a year ago, a Sheltie.

The Sheltie was the only one to bite anyone and that was an electricity meter reader who suddenly appeared from the under the stairs box room (the dog had just come into the room).

He nipped the meter reader on the back of the ankles, just as would happen if herding sheep, being aware that it was a stranger in the house.

The meter reader, to his credit, understood exactly why it had happened and certainly did not go running to the authorities...:-)

Confab 13:40 23 Jan 2007

And your point is....?

Perhaps these same views apply to Police and Security dog's - No they are trained and don't bite the neighbours. If they did then you can be sure they would be destroyed.

Some people only have a dog, or a clawing cat as their only means of personal confidence - That may well be true but if the dog bites then as far as I am concerned I wouldn't give a jot about the person - the dog goes.

Confab

Confab 13:48 23 Jan 2007

In my opinion the Mail is an appalling paper –“The working woman’s Sun” as far as I am concerned. I can think for myself and really don’t need a “newspaper” to do it for me.

Anyway ‘nuff said from me methinks

Confab

spuds 13:49 23 Jan 2007

But would you have a cat destroyed, if it clawed and injured anyone, or would it be a case of " ...is a lovely cat"?.

I have seen a cat attack both human and dog (Alsation/German Shepherd), and the damage the cat left behind can be horrendous.Perhaps not crushed skull or 'nipped' ankle stuff, but more of lost eye sight, shredded nose and deep lacerations.Try cornering a feral or uncontrolled domestic cat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?