Not been a good year for..........

Seth Haniel 09:10 10 Apr 2008

British Wildlife
With Badgers - Grey Squirrel and Hedgehogs in the firing lines.

Good job the animals don't have the mind to say there are too many humans lets cull them ;)

peter99co 10:04 10 Apr 2008

I have never found a badger appealing or useful in any way. The Grey Squirrel is an import from USA an is responsible for us losing our Native Red Squirrel. I wish the Hedgehog could be farmed in the same way as a Rabbit because it is one of the few wild animals that help us to keep our gardens free of slugs and snails and other garden pests.I only know of a Hedgehog cull where somebody must have taken them to an Island and they had no other predator. Which resulted in a loss of a bird population,as a result of the hogs eating the birds eggs. Most of these problems are caused in the first place by human interference in the 1st place. The Rabbit was brought here by the Romans as a food supply and look what happened to them. As a food source you will not find better ,but not many people will agree to eat rabbit nowadays. Even the Hedgehog is a food source by some who know the cooking method,but I will not go into that here.

Seth Haniel 12:44 10 Apr 2008

I never caught on to the Elephant so can I call a cull on it too ???!!!!

Jim Thing 13:03 10 Apr 2008

"I have never found a badger appealing or useful in any way."

I feel the same way about Pete Docherty but I don't especially want to cull him.

Seth Haniel 14:30 10 Apr 2008

there we differ - i would have him culled ;)

The latest excuse on squirrel extermination is that they which compete with them for food????. So lets cull cattle in the same field as sheep as they are also competing with them for food. ;)

DippyGirl 15:49 10 Apr 2008

Seth
Why stop at fields.
The Palace of Westminster, Tea Room and Restaurants - and other Food-competitive areas...
Rather than cull one party or the other(s) - why not just a random sample of the competitors?

peter99co 15:56 10 Apr 2008

Clay is the best material and claypot cooking is one of the finest ways of cooking known to man. Nothing gets out and nothing gets in. The food tastes wonderful cooked in it's own juices.

techie4me 16:06 10 Apr 2008

Badgers are protected under The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

I presume this 'cull' is licenced by DEFRA?

HondaMan 16:07 10 Apr 2008

"Even the Hedgehog is a food source". Most people wouldn't know the difference between rabbit and chicken. It's mainly the bones which give it away

peter99co 16:27 10 Apr 2008

Was it the TWO RONNIES who did a sketch about a rabbit/chicken mix up?

amonra 16:40 10 Apr 2008

If you are not sure if it's rabbit or chicken, then stay away from the bits with whiskers ! meeaww

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires