Not ANOTHER Max Broadband Post!!!!

Confab 16:34 17 Apr 2006

There have been lots of posts on this forum about broadband speed. As you know most of BT’s exchanges have been MAXED and lots of us have now got or will shortly be getting up to 8meg broadband.

I for one have opted in and I’m being upgraded on 25th. To be honest I’m really looking forward to it and I’m almost ticking off the days on the calendar. But why I don’t know. What’s 8meg going to give me that 2meg doesn’t? OK apart from the obvious “speed increase” will it make a great deal of difference to my overall internet experience? Oddly enough I’ve started looking at thinks like Noise Margin and Line Attenuation and I’ve even bought a new Voyager 240 modem to replace my old Speedtouch USB.

So for those of you who have already been lucky enough to have been upgraded what differences have you noticed? Is the 25th going to be a big disappointment for me? I really hope not.

Confab

Forum Editor 16:47 17 Apr 2006

My home connection is being upgraded on 25th as well.

anskyber 16:47 17 Apr 2006

It should also increase your upload speed as well depending on your modem.

anskyber 16:50 17 Apr 2006

" At the same time, it provides an upstream speed of up to 832 Kbps (448 Kbps for home packages)." From the arris link in the Helproom post

SG Atlantis® 16:50 17 Apr 2006

I went from 2 meg to 10 meg on ntl and never noticed any difference on browsing. I only notice the benefits on downloads - it saves a lot of time, believe me!

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:02 17 Apr 2006

I occasionally use an 8Mb connection on a leased line and it makes no difference whatsoever when browsing. Downloads/uploads are quicker but no so much that I would be shouting it from the roof tops. I certainly would not pay any extra if it were more than my home 2 mb connection. A lot of smoke and mirrors methinks.

G

bremner 17:04 17 Apr 2006

What my 10MB Blueyonder upgrade gave me was much better streaming media. I can now watch the BBC News almost seamlessly in quite a large window. Music videos on full screen etc

pj123 17:09 17 Apr 2006

SG Atlantis®, I'm on NTL 2mb at the moment. Where do I get the 10mb from?

Confab 17:25 17 Apr 2006

Net surfing and e-mails are my main use. My children do download music and the odd video or two so I guess that they will see more benefit than I will.

Oh well, I'll have to find another project to get excited about then.

Confab

SG Atlantis® 17:29 17 Apr 2006

Upgrade and pay £34.99 per month, I didn't get it free.

wolfie3000 17:29 17 Apr 2006

one thing you will notice is your ping on online games will be smaller.

plus no lag.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?