Nostalgia Time for some

Bingalau 10:25 26 Aug 2009

I was not even thinking of computers in those far off days. But Brumas will have cut his teeth on one of these no doubt.

click here

Bingalau 10:33 26 Aug 2009

I can remember seeing films in black and white where our hero was able to call for back up on his wrist watch phone. Was it Dick Tracy or Buck Jones? Whatever, it is now available in real life I think.

Brumas 12:51 26 Aug 2009

Even moi, a 'child prodigy' born in 1948 would have had serious 'hands on' problems with that beast ;o)
What I know about serious computing one could write on the side thickness of a cigarette paper!

Bingalau 13:11 26 Aug 2009

Brumas. There was I, thinking you were an IT expert. By the way your serious computing skills are still better than mine. I keep pinching bits of knowledge from the absolute beginner's forum. Even then some of that is too techie for me.

dagnammit 13:14 26 Aug 2009

fourm member the iPhone can hardly get praise for it's tech. Applaud it for brand image but not tech. Any other mfr tried a business model where it released one feature limited handset/device per year for a hefty price would flop.

laurie53 15:54 26 Aug 2009

That's the one thing you miss with modern computers - you can't sit at them and make a slice of toast!

Snec 16:38 26 Aug 2009

What? I'm doing it now.

As soon as I hear the click I'll go get the toast.

BT 17:47 26 Aug 2009

When I moved to a new job in 1984, the department I was in was the only one on the company that was actually using Computers on a daily basis. We had Commodore PETs. Not the very early ones, but they had a separate twin disc drives(5 1/4") in a big box that sat alongside. We inputted our daily Lab results and the boss picked up the discs on a Monday morning and supplied a new one for the next weeks' results.
They were programmed in Commodore Basic and I always remember when the sales people changed the customer numbers from 5 to 6 digits and I was given the job of altering the program and re-entering the customer data base. This was a daunting job and I managed to fix it so that it rewrote itself. Whenever an unlisted customer number was entered it was added to the database. Saved me a long boring job!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?