Northern Lights upset SatNavs

anchor 13:14 22 Jun 2008

Interesting article

click here

spuds 13:45 22 Jun 2008

I am not at all surprised, after being told that my router problems may well be caused by Christmas lights, microwave oven or 20 other every day home user items.

As for a sat-nav, we have two regular local problems for out of town visitors. Low bridge and passable (at times) ford.

Forum Editor 18:34 22 Jun 2008

department of electrical engineering is the first to find that the aurora borealis, which can be seen from most parts of Britain, directly affects sat-navs.

I'm not doubting what the university says, but I must have been walking around with my eyes on the ground all my life - I've never seen the aurora borealis in this country.

Blackhat 18:45 22 Jun 2008

Observation of the Aurora from the UK is very difficult, the light pollution in any built up area will block it out.

If you go far north and well away from light you might get a sighting, however there have been some spectacular shows from time to time but you still need to be aware of them and be prepared.

A few years ago I flew up to the artic circle specifically to observe the Northern Lights and didn’t see a thing!

You can keep an eye on activity at this web site.

click here

Forum Editor 23:19 22 Jun 2008

Thanks for that link.

I've seen some spectacular aurora borealis displays in Canada, but I have never heard of anyone seeing the phenomenon on UK soil.

Blackhat 23:38 22 Jun 2008

My father once described to me his observation of the aurora from Birmingham in the 50’s. A very rare event but the following links give evidence of UK sightings.

click here

click here

laurie53 08:23 23 Jun 2008

Four or five years ago a guy at work showed me some pictures he had take the previous night in Dundee.

They do appear every so often, more often the further north you go.

Bingalau 09:25 23 Jun 2008

Surely that is why we get the well known Scottish song "The Northern Lights Of Old Aberdeen" which I trust is on the British mainland. It's a wonder wee eddie hasn't sung it for us.

Al94 09:30 23 Jun 2008

click here photographed in Northern Ireland

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?