Northern Ireland back to the past this Summer?

dagnammit 10:05 18 Jul 2009

Recent contentious parades caused riots and now schools are being atacked by arsonists.

click here

click here
(this is the school my children attend, they're in tears that someone could do this).

I am totally disgusted.

oresome 11:25 18 Jul 2009

Let's hope it doesn't deflect the political process.

From news clips, it seems like very young men causing much of the rioting. Perhaps they have little experience of the horrors and suffering inflicted on innocent families that preceded the fragile peace.

spuds 11:28 18 Jul 2009

In the past issues, it was the adults who used the young, so perhaps things haven't changed all that much!.

laurie53 17:46 18 Jul 2009

It's pretty depressing for those of us who took part in the struggle to see things slipping back.

For those that live there it must be absolutely heartbreaking, not to say frightening.

I share your disgust, and hope all will soon be quieter again.

dagnammit 22:11 18 Jul 2009

Thanks for your comments.

Al94 18:51 19 Jul 2009

Lets keep this in perspective. Most of the rioting (and I suspect the arsonists) is carried out by delinquent kids in early teens often spurred on, shipped in and encourage by dissident republicans. There is hardly a police force in Europe who would put men in the from line to face these "riot squads", to be stoned, petrol bombed etc without then proactively going in to "take out" the offenders. It appears the PSNI are either ineffective (which I doubt)or have their hands tied politically so that there are no accusations of "heavy handedness" in dealing with these scum. There is always madness to a degree in the July marching season, it will settle down again but the threat from dissident republicans should not be underestimated - it is more real than we may understand but the road to peace was always going to have a few bends in it!

dagnammit 19:06 19 Jul 2009

I don't know where you're coming from but there's certainly a feeling that the politicians are leaving behind the people/communities they represent. That can't be a good thing... at all.

It's only so long before similar feelings erupt in the loyalist community in the form of retalliation. The recent protest by the UPRG in Derry and their "we're withdrawing our support for the PSNI and Political Institutions" statement is worrying.

The dissidents are a threat not to be underestimated either. Soldiers were shot dead not all that long while collection a Pizza.

Al94 20:05 19 Jul 2009

Not sure what you mean in your first paragraph.
The reaction you allude to in your second paragraph is precisley what the republican dissidents are trying to provoke and must be avoided at all costs. All sides need to rise above the aspirations of these no hopers and take politics to a new level, it will take courage and it will be challenging but it needs to happen.

dagnammit 22:23 19 Jul 2009

Avoid that reaction at all costs? How do we achieve that. Ignoring them has got us to the point of violence.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone