North South Divide

oresome 21:42 07 Nov 2006

The current thread on the relative friendliness of the two halves reminded me of a tale my wife was told by the skipper of a pleasure boat running between Scarborough and Whitby.

They were passing some old alum mine workings on the coast and the skipper described how the processing of the alum required large amounts of urine.

This was shipped up from London in large barrels.

Yorkshire farmers had a good trade the other way, supplying London with butter. It was in great demand in the south because of it's unique flavour which they couldn't replicate.

Yorkshiremen, being what they are, didn't want to spend more than necessary on packaging, so utilised the empty barrels to put the butter in for the return journey.

Hertz Van Rentyl 23:39 07 Nov 2006

I guess Yorkshire is "Where men are men and the sheep are worried"

jakimo 00:35 08 Nov 2006

There was a documentary on TV some months ago about the history of the alum mines in Yorkshire, the urine process was explained,but there was no mention of that unique flavoured butter,I wonder why!

Forum Editor 00:52 08 Nov 2006

Because it isn't true.

namtas 08:22 08 Nov 2006

Was it a tongue in cheek quip from FE?
Sounds a feasible activity to me.
One of the leading markets of the city, and one of the city's few trading assets mentioned by Drake, (fn. 88) was the wholesale butter market in Micklegate, established in the 1660's. In the early years of the century the market's facilities were inadequate and the 'green-coat butter-weigher' received only £20 from the corporation; (fn. 89) in 1718, moreover, he preferred to have £20 as a city officer rather than a lease of the market for £30 with its uncertain profits. (fn. 90) A notable improvement in the trade followed the Act for the better regulation of the market which the city secured in 1722. (fn. 91) By 1731 the corporation was not prepared to let the market to a weigher and searcher for less than £60, (fn. 92) and York was apparently achieving a reputation for its carefully inspected butter. In 1737 the weigher was ordered to seal butter with the full word 'York' instead of merely a 'Y' which was being used by Malton (N.R.) traders in order to pass off their butter on the London market as if it had been weighed and searched according to the 1722 Act. (fn. 93)

ezypcy 09:22 08 Nov 2006

Last week I visited Portsmouth Historic Dockyards.
The hi-light was the tour of HMS Victory.click here

The conditions in the lower decks were so filthy and
rat infested that the men washed their clothes in urine.
This acted like a disinfectant.

Well into a long journey,eventually the biscuits became
so infected with bugs that they men ate them in in their beds,
and in the dark,so that they could'nt see what they were eating.
The men described the eating sensation similar to eating a moist dessert.

Some cultures would have cleanst the biscuits in their
daily tipple of urine.Over 3m Chinese do so to the cries of "vee vee"(cheers).

sunny staines 15:32 08 Nov 2006

are they taking the p***

namtas 18:10 08 Nov 2006

Sunny S:- Most likely yes, they were, but "they" didn't know it at the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?