Is North Korea a "Cuban Missile" crisis for Trump?

john bunyan 22:51 14 Apr 2017
Answered

With N Korea about to carry out a nuclear weapon test, and a US Navy task force nearby, the potential for a very dangerous situation looms large. Candidate Trump , who promised less foreign military adventures has morphed into President Trump with a very different agenda.

Quickbeam 08:10 15 Apr 2017

I think Trump is nearer to the Slim Pickens character in Dr Strangelove!

morddwyd 08:54 15 Apr 2017

No! JFK made a measured and carefully considered response to what he saw as a genuine threat to the US.

Trump's bombast and bullying, entirely for local consumption bears no comparison.

Govan1x 09:41 15 Apr 2017

It is a case of call my bluff or if playing poker call or fold. If you think you have the best hand you call but you do not always win.

Depends who makes the first move and I would think the USA are playing cat and mouse with them to get a reaction. They may get one that they do not want.

Whatever happens I hope it ends peacefully.

I think maybe a different scenario with Cuba that was basically on their doorstep. Korea maybe a different proposition. It would be on their doorstep.

rickf 09:46 15 Apr 2017

"Trump's bombast and bullying, entirely for local consumption bears no comparison" That is exactly the problem. He is a hard headed narcissist just like his counter part in NK. Neither knows how to back down and that is the danger; an irresistible force meets an immovable object. This way lies madness whatever his underlying intentions are. They are both doing it to satisfy local consumption. Threatening NK and bombing Syria are not of the same order at all. Both of them are maniacs.

Old Deuteronomy 10:07 15 Apr 2017

I think Trump is nearer to the Slim Pickens character in Dr Strangelove!

If Trump rides a bomb into North Korea at least we will be rid of him and the Americans, together with the rest of the World, can move on.

Belatucadrus 12:33 15 Apr 2017

Not really the same. With Cuba there was a genuine Mutually Assured Destruction threat, North Korea can threaten the neighbors and maybe Eastern Europe and Canada, their ability to execute their bombastic threats against the US seems limited by the fact that it's outside the range of the Taepodong 2 missile. It's also questionable how many functioning warheads they have. The US Navy currently has fourteen Ohio class with twenty four Tridents a piece, each Trident has up to eight warheads.

If the North Koreans keep any potential conflict conventional they have sufficient numbers and hardware to make it very messy, if they go nuclear the US could reduce them to a glowing coal at the push of a button.

Kim Jong Un would have to be barking mad to push things that far, then again this is a chap that poisoned his half brother and had his uncle shot with an anti aircraft cannon so who knows.

wee eddie 13:11 15 Apr 2017

I feel sorry for the North Korean people

Pine Man 13:18 15 Apr 2017

Kim Jong Un would have to be barking mad to push things that far

Says it all really and Trump isn't much better!

rickf 15:55 15 Apr 2017

Whilst he may not be able to nuke America I believe he would take it out on it's allies like SK, Canada etc.,

john bunyan 17:43 15 Apr 2017

If a conflict between USA and NK did unfortunately erupt, the Chinese would not stand idly by. Such a trigger could occur if NK sunk US ship - the Gulf of Tonkin incident triggered the Vietnam war.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Les meilleures enceintes Bluetooth à moins de 150 euros