A Nomad?

morddwyd 08:35 10 Jan 2014

We have now reached the stage where my wife's prescription has to be made up by the pharmacist into one of those compartmented pill boxes.

All the health care professionals refer to this as a "nomad".

Firstly, is this just a local name, or is it used by healthcare professionals everywhere, and secondly, why "nomad"?

Blackhat 08:52 10 Jan 2014

Try Google Nomad Pill Box, looks like a trade name.

Typical nomad

michaelw 08:53 10 Jan 2014

There's usually two types of medication dispenser; a nomad where the various pills are kept for later consumption at the right time and day in small individual boxes, then there is the blister pack which is where the pills are sealed in the appropriate compartments in days and times. I have used both in a professional capacity, and the latter is more conveniant and less bulky to store say in a residential home setting where several clients would take medication.

exdragon 09:03 10 Jan 2014

The question is, why Nomad?' This is from the Pharmacy Manual:

The Nomad Monitored Dosage System is the cost-effective way for pharmacy to deliver medication to nursing homes, carehomes, public hospitals and other institutions.

So perhaps this is a sort of short way of indicating that the medication 'wanders around in a nomadic way! I'm sure FE would know the correct answer.

hastelloy 09:17 10 Jan 2014

I think Blackhat is correct. My mother uses these but we, and all the professionals we talk to, call them dosset boxes.

fourm member 10:36 10 Jan 2014

Seems like your question has been answered so can I ask you one?

I see these packs being collected at our local pharmacy and I've noticed that they have to be signed for.

Are you having to sign for your wife's medication?

I suppose it may be that the signature is required if care home staff pick it up so there is traceability but I've seen care workers pick up ordinary prescriptions without signing.

hastelloy 10:51 10 Jan 2014

I don't have to sign for my mother's but the pharmacist knows me well as I used to go in regularly with my mother.

morddwyd 12:17 10 Jan 2014

Thanks for the responses.

Looks like it is a trade name which has gone into general use like hoover and thermos.

On the subject of signatures, it has only just been requested (by the district nurses) from our GP, so I've not picked it up yet, but I normally have to sign each prescription, even though we are on first name terms and exchange Christmas cards, so do not expect that to change.

Resolved.

martd7 13:21 10 Jan 2014

Dossett boxes thats what i knew them as,we now use telecare automatic pill dispensers,theyre set to dispense at certain times of the day,alarm sounds n box is tipped upside down to dispense meds n turn alarm off

Aitchbee 23:32 14 Jan 2014

Some of my elderly neighbours get a NOMAD delivery straight to their house/flat doors ... it's just-a like-a a pizza delivery service!

Aitchbee 23:41 14 Jan 2014

... shake rattle & roll.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?