No road salt !

Dragon_Heart 22:13 01 Dec 2010

We've had a few days of snow ... how long B4 the councils complain they are running out of road salt ?

peter99co 22:25 01 Dec 2010

They are bringing it from as far as PERU I have heard. It's money that may run out.

Forum Editor 22:55 01 Dec 2010

but how long they'll last depends very much on how long the cold weather lasts.

We're currently importing a lot of grit from Egypt.

Outside my wife's clinic there's one of those roadside salt bins for the use of local residents. Yesterday morning it was filled up by the council.

Yesterday afternoon a large white van pulled up, and three men jumped out, shovelled the entire bin-full of road salt into the back, and drove off. One of the patients said these people are touring the suburban streets selling people bags of salt - the same salt they've already paid for via their council tax.

Quickbeam 08:47 02 Dec 2010

I didn't know that Egyptian grit was in the same league as cotton, frankincense and myrrh...

BT 08:55 02 Dec 2010

Re the Salt bins

When I lived in Forest Hill/Lewisham we had a salt bin at the top of the very steep hill where we lived .
The council removed it and when we queried why we were told that it was because of vandalism and theft! Presumably a similar situation to what you describe. The local Vicar at the time took to walking to the local council salt dump with a wheelbarrow. The road was a dead end so was not on the council gritting priority list despite there being over 200 households isolated at the top of the very steep hill.

peter99co 13:54 02 Dec 2010

I bet no one took the reg number! We always seem to miss it.

Dragon_Heart 20:34 02 Dec 2010

Get a house on a bus route !

timsmith259 21:47 02 Dec 2010

didnt they get caught out last year with the pants down

jakimo 10:00 03 Dec 2010

did anyone think of writing down the the road salt thief's vehicle number?

Colin 13:05 03 Dec 2010
  Uboat 13:12 03 Dec 2010

Well on a lighter side here is some great pics of it all
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone