No point to PowerPoint

VoG II 19:14 19 Apr 2007

click here

Do you agree - I don't.

Fortunately, it is some time since I gave a Powerpoint presentation - about 36 hours ;o)

Curio 19:23 19 Apr 2007

I am with you :>)

Bingalau 19:23 19 Apr 2007

VoG.
I've only used Power Point to watch it on my computer. I have never attended a lecture where it has been used either. But I have been at lectures which have bored me to tears. I think the author has a few points which would probably help any one giving a lecture too. such as repeating what the visual bits are saying anyway. Maybe there are lessons to be learned here for lecturers?

anskyber 19:24 19 Apr 2007

No I do not agree.

PowerPoint in the right hands is very effective. Sadly it has become hijacked by many who are poor communicators and use the system as an aid memoir rather than an aid to communication.

A classic example of rubbish in rubbish out.

Totally-braindead 19:27 19 Apr 2007

I've only used Powerpoint once but I do know people who use it week in week out as part of their job.
Therefore I think the professor not seeing the point.
Its not the Powerpoint thats the problem, its the content of the presentation.
If someone creates a really boring presentation and constantly goes over the same things again and again of course the audience will go to sleep.
Its the same as someone giving a really boring speech that hasn't much point, could you stay awake as someone drones on and on about something you have no interest in? Of course not.

Theres nothing wrong with Powerpoint if the person who creates it uses it properly and makes it interesting, and of course if the audience is interested in the subject. If they aren't then the only way to keep them awake would be to hold them at gunpoint.
I suspect the esteemed professor creates presentations that are rather poor, repeat themselves all the time and create and desire in his audience to cease to exist. Any idiot can read from a screen you need to make it a bit more interesting to keep an audiences attention.

Totally-braindead 19:29 19 Apr 2007

Sorry about the bad syntax, I didn't read it before I posted.

riiverstock 19:36 19 Apr 2007

I think that classes in Drama and Acting would serve many large companies far better than the current NoPoint stage dummies that we frequently have to sit through,ignoring.

Woolwell 19:40 19 Apr 2007

In the days of overhead projectors I was often subjected to "death by viewfoil" and you can now have "death by PowerPoint". However this is not the fault of PowerPoint but of the people who compile the presentation. Over cluttered slides and repetition of the spoken word (effectively reading out the slides) and not using them as an aid to assist the audience to understand are classic examples of poor presentation technique. People should be properly trained in how to give presentations.

I should also add that too many clip art figures, duff animation, over use of fonts and colours, and too small a font size are all too frequent.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:59 19 Apr 2007

I'd rather carry a CD with a powepoint presetation rather than a bulky pack of viewfoils.

Totaly agree with Woolwell too many slide with too much on each slide and too many fancy effects is really off putting.

A short simple presentation is much better to get the point across.

Woolwell 20:03 19 Apr 2007

riiverstock

You make a good point. To give a good presentation you have to "put on an act" but not over the top. You will find that many good teachers and instructors are also good actors.

Noldi 20:06 19 Apr 2007

Same with everthing you only get out what has been put in. That includes presentations if if its good it does not mater how its done, Powerpoint just makes it easier.

Noldi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone