No more Made in UK TV's

Woolwell 12:58 28 Aug 2009

Toshiba closed its factory in Plymouth manufacturing TV's yesterday. Reportedly this was the last factory mass-producing TV's in UK.
The factory was originally Rank Bush Murphy before Toshiba.

dagnammit 13:30 28 Aug 2009

That's where my current TV was made. It was one of the reasons I chose it, after having a Sony for a few months that was made in Slovakia and was a piece of junk.

oresome 14:02 28 Aug 2009

It's a shame, but I wonder how much of the TV they actually made there as opposed to assembling imported items.

Quickbeam 14:08 28 Aug 2009

How long can a country last as a consumer only country? Call me old fashioned, but don't we need to make something to create wealth? Can we be a wealthy country when everyone is a shop assistant, or a maacburger server or living on benefits?

Oh dear, a rant has slipped in...

jack 14:11 28 Aug 2009

how much of the TV they actually made there

As for many years past- most plants in UK have been assembly shops
Surprisingly I believe I read somewhere that 'Matsui'was a 'Home Grown' with an oriental name.

dagnammit 14:11 28 Aug 2009

I often wonder that... and with India getting all our data handling services what's left for the UK?

Can someone tell me what our biggest export is?

Quickbeam 14:27 28 Aug 2009

click here
Pharmaceuticals are the top export on this list. Oil and petroleum product are high, but a finite resource. Alcoholic exports don't surprise me, but 'stamp collecting'!... With no mention of heavy industry in the list is worrying.

interzone55 14:54 28 Aug 2009

I can't speak for the Toshiba plant, but when I worked at Time they started assembing TVs using Plasma and LCD panels bought from Panasonic and Hitachi, and cases built by FIC in Korea.

Considering the size of the plants required to make the panels I would think they did something very similar at Toshiba.

Woolwell 15:55 28 Aug 2009

Toshiba's production has been moved to Poland.

sunnystaines 16:18 28 Aug 2009

sony have a factory in wales somewhere for tv's

oresome 17:36 28 Aug 2009

I believe the Sony plants in Wales produced CRTs and old style TVs and have now closed.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?