No more family holidays in term time !

Dragon_Heart 14:02 03 Jul 2013

Yes that's right, if you wish to take your children on holiday in school term time, even for a day, from the 1st September this year will not be allowed to without getting a fine of worse

The Education ( Pupil Registration ) ( England ) Regulations 2006 and it's 2013 amendment is the problem. It states :-

"*Term-time holiday

The Education (Pupil Registration) (England) Regulations 2006 currently allow headteachers to grant leave of absence for the purpose of a family holiday during term time in “special circumstances” of up to ten school days leave per year. Headteachers can also grant extended leave for more than ten school days in exceptional circumstances.

Amendments to the 2006 regulations remove references to family holiday and extended leave as well as the statutory threshold of ten school days. The amendments make clear that headteachers may not grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances. Headteachers should determine the number of school days a child can be away from school if the leave is granted.* "

So now you'll HAVE to pay the extra premium that holiday accommodation and travel companies charge for family holidays during school holidays. Pet 'holidays' will also be more crowded, and possibly more expensive, as will all the holiday destinations.

OK some may say people pay tax / council tax to educate ALL children and children should have a full an education as possible but is this going too far ?

wiz-king 14:44 03 Jul 2013

No - they dont have enough schooling as it is now and to take them out of sholl for a week on two disrupts the whole class.

link

wiz-king 14:45 03 Jul 2013

Link missing off last post

wee eddie 16:00 03 Jul 2013

That is grossly unfair on the Children of those that work in the Service Industries, who are working flat out during the school Holidays.

Woolwell 16:11 03 Jul 2013

If you speak to just about any secondary school teacher then you will find their response is "that this should have happened long ago". Children catching up on missed lessons can take a lot of time and be disruptive. Teachers don't mind for reasons like sickness but holidays are another matter.

Mr Mistoffelees 16:24 03 Jul 2013

Parents should consider their children's education more important than a holiday and not need to be told.

spuds 00:24 04 Jul 2013

I suppose some people have justification to complain if holiday schedules are hard to arrange. But when some people consider that two or more extended holidays a year are acceptable, then surely their child's education is not being considered?.

But having said that, do some of the head teacher's or staff teacher's consider the effects it as on a child's education, when school's are closed without warning or very little warning for the most flimsy excuses?.

rdave13 00:37 04 Jul 2013

Next time schools close because of snow, I will expect every teacher and head teacher to be fined. It's their own fault for living so far away from their place of work. It's no excuse that they can't be present, similar in my case, no turn up for work, regardless of weather, then no pay. If that be the case then I'd consider it fair.

Has anyone considered that taking a child on holiday, for a week, during school term, is also educational?

HondaMan 08:42 04 Jul 2013

Mine will just take a "sickie" for a few days.

rdave, well said. All teachers should have it in their conditions of service that they should live close enough to school to WALK to work!

spuds 11:01 04 Jul 2013

I can see an upset heading this way, as to why people are constantly picking on teachers in our education service.

All the local school's around my neck of the woods, seems to have teacher's who can well afford new cars, so it would appear that most teacher's at these school's may have considerable travelling distances to cover, before and after school duties?.

In my school days, I walked to school in all sorts of weather, and if the school heating broke down, it was a case of keeping your warmer clothes on, until the heating and hot water had been restored, sometimes taking a week or so. The teacher's either arrived on foot, push bike, with the very occasional motor vehicle appearance if the teacher had a motor vehicle. I could never recall the school's being closed except on official holidays like Christmas, but then Great Britain was fighting a war then, and we just took things in our stride!.

Woolwell 12:13 04 Jul 2013

Nowadays teachers don't really like living close to their schools because if they do then they can never get away. It is bad enough coping with undisciplined youngsters at school without having to cope with them congregating near your house and knowing where you live. Also when people move jobs (nowadays it is unusual for a teacher to remain at the same school all of their career) then they choose to remain in their original houses perhaps because they have a family who are settled there and children who go to that local school. Is HondaMan willing to pay for relocation?

I am aware of several teachers that walked many miles in snow to get to their school in the last bout of bad weather.

What has the newness of the car got to do with it?

Thank goodness we have moved away from freezing cold schools.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?